Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

program can't start .... missing mfc100.dll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

program can't start .... missing mfc100.dll

My client get this message when opening his app

"The program can't start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

this is not a file in the runtime folder - any ideas?
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Re: program can't start .... missing mfc100.dll

It's part of the visual studio stuff. Is it possible your target PC is preventing that file from being installed? Lots of that going on with Vista and Win7. You may need to turn off UAC to get it installed.

Comment

Thanks David.
      It isn't a file in A5V10 Runtime. But I found it in "c:\windows\system32"

I instructed the users to turn off UAC on Vista and W7, and be logged in as an administrator before running it.

I downloaded build 3608 for both the full and runtime versions using the option to use the new Visual Studio Version 10. I made an install.exe using Astrum. It installs and runs perfectly on all my computers, but my client sent me an email:

I get the following error message: "The program can't start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

could this be related to the build of Alpha I'm using? should I go back to the build using the older version of Visual Studio? or any other ideas?

you would think a W7 machine would be up-to-date on Visual Studio.
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

Selwyn emailed me:

they probably do not have the microsoft c++ runtime on their machine. the a5v10 full version and the runtime install this automatically

there is a file called vcredist_x86.exe that we install.

your install needs to install that and then also execute it.

this is a microsoft file.
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

Good to know. I'm assuming it's included in the A5 Create Install Package. I wonder if there's anything else? Using Astrum I guess you have to know about everything that's required.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
            Good to know. I'm assuming it's included in the A5 Create Install Package. I wonder if there's anything else? Using Astrum I guess you have to know about everything that's required.
            Can someone confirm whether or not the A5 Create Install Package will automatically run the vcredist_x86.exe to install the C++ runtime? Knowing the previous limitations of the built-in install package, I'm not sure if it will but hopefully Alpha thought about that and updated the installer to handle it. Or, maybe they just left it so you need to create a batch file to run after the regular install.

In fact, there are two other files that also need to be installed - more on that in my next post.

Comment

It would be nice if alpha gave us a list of any files we need to install seperately if we are distributing runtimes.

I have not distributed v10.5 yet. I use astrum and guess I am lucky to not have run into this problem yet, but I am currently redoing my whole app into a much more comprehensive one. I would love to be properly prepared in a couple of weeks when I ship a few betas.

Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Martin,

they probably do not have the microsoft c++ runtime on their machine. the a5v10 full version and the runtime install this automatically

there is a file called vcredist_x86.exe that we install.
                Have all versions of Alpha running but I cannot find any reference to this file anywhere on my PCs

Michael

Comment

Selwyn graciously helped me with this on a Sunday morning!

If you will go to release notes, and look at 3606, you will see a note that in the near future V10 versions will be released with the new version of the C++ compiler. And it you are going to distribute to clients, it is recommended that you go ahead and get on board with this.

If you download and install the new version, from the release notes, for the Runtime as well as the full, open the Runtime folder and look for

vcredist_x86.exe
                  dotnetfx40_full_setup.exe
                  RegisterFilesVista_win7.bat (this contains a dhtmedit installer)

if you use Alpha's installers this is all handled automatically, but if you are using something like Astrum, you have to handle it yourself.

Cal and I are working on tweaking Astrum to handle all these - which are conditionally installed, based on the OS.

As soon as we get it right, will post a more complete explanation.

I have it working right now, with Astrum, but am installing all regardless, and have a client who is installing right now, and is working ok, but I would like to install only if necessary, which is what we are working on.

If you go this route, then you are also set up for V11.
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

Martin,

Do we know if there is any harm done if we install all files regardless of OS.

Michael

Comment

I got this error on mulitple machines in the last two days. I had to do two things.

1. Turn off account control if the machine used vista
                      2. Install the latest runtime plus patch which then installed the .net

I think the latest runtime is not installing the .net as it should, however the patch does

I found that if I created an install package, it installed but if the machine did not have .net it did not install it as well which is now needed. Whereas the patch does.
                      -----------------------------------------------
                      Regards
                      Mark Pearson
                      [email protected]
                      Youtube channel
                      Website

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                        Martin,

Do we know if there is any harm done if we install all files regardless of OS.

Michael
                        As best we can tell, it shouldn't do any harm. The only known "issue" is warning prompts when they have already been installed. Those warning prompts are likely to confuse the user because they don't actually come out and say it has already been installed - instead they just give them the choice of "uninstall" or "repair". And two of the installers show very similar prompts so the user is even likely to think it's trying to do the same install twice.

I've been working on the description and screenshots for setting it up in Astrum (and trying to explain it well enough to help people with any 3rd party installer) but, with other priorities that also need to be handled and the fact that the electric company is going to shut my power off today for 5-6 hours for some kind of "system upgrade", it may be another day before I can get it posted.

Comment

Cal and Martin,
                          Has anything further been done on the install process, yet? I use Astrum and am trying to figure out the easiest method for users to install, especially on Windows 7 since it must be run as administrator. Hate to have them cancel the "Autorun..." install, then open up the cd drive and right-click on the setup file.....
                          Thanks for all your efforts.
                          Ernie

Comment

The real trick is determining whether DotNet, or anything else, has already been installed. I don't have Win7 yet and haven't been able to find out how to tell whether or not DotNet has been installed. (Mostly because I haven't taken a lot of time looking for it yet.) If you can figure that out, this video should help you set it up in Astrum.

Comment

Thanks, Cal. I'll take a look and do some more digging.
                              Ernie

Comment

Working...
                              X