PDA

View Full Version : DATDoc v5 (or Phoenix Doc) :)

ABC123

Melvin Davidson
04-14-2003, 05:36 AM
Here is the old v1 Documenter, revived and recoded to work with version 5.

Special thanks to Bill Parker for his patients and cooperation in my formulation of the readme.txt.

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Melvin Davidson

rtobiassen
04-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Melvin

There is nothing attached?

Rick T

Melvin Davidson
04-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Hmmm,

Thanks for pointing out the attachment didn't attach.

Take 2.

Melvin Davidson
04-28-2003, 09:54 AM
A revised version. The only change is that the report for
set structure now uses semi-graphical represntion for links
and handles all the link-types.
eg: many->many master->first, master->last, master->closet key.

Windy Menley
04-28-2003, 12:05 PM
I, too, remember the documentor from v.1 Handy it was.

I have downloaded your documentor and attempted to use it to document a set's field rules. It comes back with the following error:

Script: Field Rules line 19:
dbh+table.open(docdbf_name)
The system cannot find the file speciified

It gives the directory location, then the file name: record.dbf

It cannot find the file, because there is no such database linked with the set. 'Record' is the name of the set.

Just for the heck of it, I tried running the documentor on another set and came up with the same results, i.e., the documentor attempted to find a dbf with the same name as the set.

Solutions?

Windy

Melvin Davidson
04-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Windy,

I believe the reason you are getting that error is because
the documentor program expects all tables, master and child, to be in the same directory as the database. In other words, it doesn't know about the path.

Have you tried the trial version of Bill Parker's documentor that comes with A5? You get 5 free uses before you decide whether you want to buy it/

Melvin

Windy Menley
04-29-2003, 09:42 AM
"Have you tried the trial version of Bill Parker's documentor that comes with A5? You get 5 free uses before you decide whether you want to buy it."

Ah, no. How do I access it? I did not find it on the Alpha5 CD.

Windy

Melvin Davidson
04-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Windy,

When you install Alpha Five, there should be a subdirectory created called A5DOC. In there is the A5DOC.adb.

Open you database in A5 as normal. In the control panel,
click File, Database Properties, Libraries. Then click the Add button. Navigate to the A5DOC.adb and select it.

In control panel, Select Code, then select the MainMenu script and run it.

Make sure you read the A5DOCReadMe.Doc and the A5DOCManual.rtf _before_ you use it.

good luck,
Melvin

Windy Menley
04-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Melvin,

Found it! Thanks!

Windy

Bo Vandenberg
10-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Getting a strange error when I try to create an operation on a table inside a set in the presense of DATDoc.

The error makes mention of A_tbl update.

See small jpg of error.

Melvin Davidson
10-14-2003, 06:21 PM
No jpg was attached to your message.

Just check that the properties for all A5Doc tables
do not have read only.

Bo Vandenberg
10-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I think that the problem wasn't with Datdoc but another table. Once I solved that problem DatDoc works fine. Thank you.

Did you ever update your security demo beyond the one in the archive???

Bo

Melvin Davidson
10-26-2003, 01:38 AM
Bo,

I advised you in my reply to the securityn demo that it is not updateed and that you can correct as advised in the reply.

Melvin Davidson
08-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Revised 08/18/2004 to correct minor problem with options.

Melvin Davidson
01-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Latest version with the following fixes.

1. Previous version was missing the report for set structure
2. Field name length increased to 32, which is A5 max
3. Verified as working with Alpha Five version 6

Kevin G. Timberlake
09-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Very nice documentor. If anyone knows of an easy way to do the same thing but have a report that shows the actual "code" like the xbasic code for the forms that would be a nice addition.
Kevin

Kevin G. Timberlake
09-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Very nice documentor. If anyone knows of an easy way to do the same thing but have a report that shows the actual "code" like the xbasic code for the forms that would be a nice addition.
Kevin

Stan Mathews
09-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Just guessing here but I imagine the "code" for forms, etc is at the underlying C++ or similar level, not xbasic.

I first learned database programming at the FoxPro 2.6 DOS level where you specified the x,y screen position of every object so I imagine I understand what you are after, but feel you will be better off not trying to get to this level of detail.

Kevin G. Timberlake
09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes Stan, That is exactly what I need to get to. Any ideas on how to get the code?
Kevin

Melvin Davidson
09-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Kevin,

Thank you for the feedback! If you really need a full featured
documentor, then you would probably be better off buying Bill Warner's documentor. He has put a lot of time and effort into it and it is not that expensive. The trial version comes with
A5, so give it some thought.

Melvin Davidson
09-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Kevin,

Thank you for the feedback! If you really need a full featured
documentor, then you would probably be better off buying Bill Warner's documentor. He has put a lot of time and effort into it and it is not that expensive. The trial version comes with
A5, so give it some thought.

Kevin G. Timberlake
09-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks Melvin,
I have tried it, but it does not do what I need. I need to be able to print up the source code for my database.
Kevin

Kevin G. Timberlake
09-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Perfection! This did exactly what I wanted. Simple, basic, detailed and best of all free. Thanks Melvin!
Kevin

Melvin Davidson
09-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Kevin,

Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

robert swanson
11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
I've download it however there are no instructions and I can't seem to get it to work. I'm using A5V7. where do you put it and what do you run to start it?

Anay suggestions will be appreciated.

Melvin Davidson
11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
I've download it however there are no instructions and I can't seem to get it to work. I'm using A5V7. where do you put it and what do you run to start it?

Anay suggestions will be appreciated.

Robert,

I haven't even looked at this in over a year, but I'll check on it when I get home
tonight and advise you.

Sorry for delay,
Melvin

Melvin Davidson
11-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Robert,

When you unzip the file, there is a ReadMe.txt. In it, it explains how to use the
documentor.

Here is a brief summary, but please read the entire doc.

1. Unzip DatDoc to a separate directory.
2. In the Alpha Five Control Panel
a. Select File, Database Properties and the click the Libraries tab.
3. Click Add, select Datdoc.alb from the directory in step 1 and click OK
4. In the Alpha Five Control Panel, click the Table/Set tab and add the
following tables from the directory in step 1.
A. a_doc.dbf
B. a_doc2.dbf
C. a_set.dbf
D. documentor.dbf
5. Click the Forms tab in the Alpha Five Control Panel.
6. Run the Documentor form.

robert swanson
11-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Thank you Melvin

Tom Cone Jr
11-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Melvin, the readme file is missing from the zip file you posted here January 12th. Should I download the previous versions, and then update, or is the January 12th intended to be cumulative? -- tom c

robert swanson
11-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks Melvin. I got the same version which was why the confusion.

Just got it running and it works great. The only thing that I noticed is that there is no field type for the JPeg Image field when I list the structure, but there only one of those so it doesn't matter