PDA

View Full Version : Learn XBASIC

ABC123

Brian Pearson
03-20-2002, 04:44 PM
I'm new to Alpha 5 but have been developing small applications in MSAccess for a few years. Before I engage in developing solutions in Alpha, I'm certain I will need to know XBASIC. What is the best way to learn this language (with very little background in writing scripts)?

Can a seasoned expert recommend a course of action for me? Thanks.

Tom Cone Jr
03-20-2002, 05:21 PM
Purchase the book, Xbasic for Everyone from Alpha Press, and work through all the examples.

-- tom

CALocklin
04-04-2002, 06:15 PM
You might also be surprised at how much you can do without Xbasic. I use Xbasic extensively but it's amazing what some people produce with only Action Scripting.

Also, Action Scripting in version 5, due out in June, will be much, much, much, much, much, much more powerful. Many Xbasic users at the recent conference were watching the demo and thinking, "We're going to be obsolete!" If you haven't gotten started yet, you might want to wait.

Brian Pearson
04-05-2002, 03:09 AM
Thanks for tip Cal. I'm doing most of my projects in Access right now and am really interested in an alternative.

Brian Pearson
04-05-2002, 03:14 AM
Another question...

Where can I find the syntax the Action Script Editor?

Tom Cone Jr
04-05-2002, 06:08 AM
Questions of this type are best posted in the Alpha Five Version Four message forum.

Ch 2 in the Xbasic Reference Manual covers Action Scripting.

-- tom

larry elfenbein
09-06-2002, 05:09 PM
Brian,

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of changing to Alpha Five?

Lar

larpup@pacbell.net

Brian Pearson
09-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi Larry:

Three reasons...
1. Development time
2. Ease of development (I don't know VBA and the learning curve seems steep)
3. Low cost of deployment (Licensing costs for the client are at my descretion)

Actually, the forth would be that Microsoft just has too big a slice of the pie.

Now that I have answered and being a bit direct, who are you and why do you ask?