PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed Please

ABC123

harbo
02-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Ok first of all I'd like to say a big hello to all members.

Advice Needed Please. Total, total newbie.

I have been searching around for suitable database apps that would suit my needs for a little project that I have in mind.

I am a member of a metal detecting club and of course we like to record our finds etc. Now I would like to take on a challenge of putting together a standalone base that would help us record our finds. After headaches from searching I have come up with the following software.

Access 2007:
Looks nice but a bit of hard to get my head around even though the runtime will soon become free to download.

Filemaker 8.5:
Good product from what I have read. We'll have to wait and see.

Alpha Five:
Watched a demo video and downloaded and am at the moment experimenting with it. So far it seems up my street. I reckon I could get on with it.

Question: RE Alpha Five.
We have around 50 members in our club. Lets just say they all run standalone pc's etc, ie no networks. What would I have to purchase from Alpha to produce and supply each member with a copy of a database made with A5. My main concern to be honest is that I do not understand the runtime explanation. Also would it cost my friends anything if I was succesful with the project.

Thanks in advance

har

Doug Page
02-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Welcome to Alpha 5 Har. I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

As for your question, as long as your friends are not going to be modifying the running of the program you only require the smallest version of the Runtime. The Runtime will allow you to give away what you have done to anyone. The number of users that are mentioned with the various runtime versions describe how many users can access the database at one time (multi-user/network).

Good luck with your project and if you have any questions feel free to ask. The people on this forum are second to none.

Doug

harbo
02-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply Doug,

I think I am going to enjoy this Alpha stuff. As long as it dont keep me off the fields to long.

Understand now.

har