PDA

View Full Version : Import Excel sheet

ABC123

DVSOL005
02-19-2007, 05:16 PM
I wanted to import an Excel Sheet and was confronted with a version issue.
It seems that only version 3.0 and 4.0 can be imported.
I cannot imagine that many of us receive or create sheets in those ancient formats anymore.

One of the key features mentioned in upcoming V8 is:
Single-click import of Access and Excel databases (from the File/Open menu).
I cannot quite agree with that and wonder whether Alpha has any plans to support the newer versions.

Jo Hulsen
The Netherlands

Al Buchholz
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Jo

Are you looking at the import, ADO import, passive-linked tables, or Alpha DAO import?

The 2nd choice should work if you have your excel spreadsheet in a database format. ie a row of fieldnames and columns of data below it...

The last 2 require an Alpha enterprise license, but I'd guess that they will import any version of Excel... in fact I've tried it and they do...

I'd guess that you had tried option 1. Try #2 and then work forward from there.

smrogers
02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Along these lines, I'm just curious if Alpha will at some point be able to import their new "xlsx" format, or if we will always need to make sure the spreadsheet is saved in some other format first...

DVSOL005
02-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Al,

Thanks for your hints.
I was using the first (classic) import option.
Now I used the second option and was surprised to find that after saving the operation there was an export file.
After fiddling around a bit I was staring at the screen and didn't really see which next step to take. In an attempt to close and start again I had to save the operation and that did the job.
This is a fantastic option. The only thing it lacks is a bit guidance during the process. One expects a button to SAVE or CONTINUE/NEXT.

I guess it makes the first option redundant in many cases.

Best regards,

Jo Hulsen
The Netherlands

DVSOL005
02-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Shawn,

I guess that in many cases AlphaDAO is the solution.
It seems that when there are column headers in a sheet Alpha DAO can handle newer versions. I had an excel sheet in version 7 and is was imported without any problem except that I had to get used to handle a new tool.

My guess would be that the use AlphaDAO is much faster and more reliable than the classic first option.

Best regards,

Jo Hulsen
The Netherlands

Al Buchholz
02-20-2007, 11:52 AM
I guess it makes the first option redundant in many cases.

Yes there is redundancy, but there is also compatibility with previous versions where that was the only option.

If you like option 2, you'll love the next ones.

Richard Rabins
02-20-2007, 01:07 PM
There are many options in the new Version 8 AlphaDAO import genie which can bring data in from any SQL source including Excel and Access.