PDA

View Full Version : *&&^%$$ Alpha Forms!!!

ABC123

rmssoftware
02-25-2007, 04:36 PM
It did it again! I worked on a form for about 4 hours and saving and compacting every few changes and now for the 4th time it pops up the error message when I click on the form to open or design " Unable to load form using the default form. I'm really getting tired of wasting time on Alpha V8 and finding more bugs than ever. The problems with forms is making this software unusable for development unless you like wasting a lot of time developing and watching it crash and burn.

rmssoftware
02-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Attached is the error message I keep getting based on a bug in Alpha's code.

Daniel Weiss
02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Fred
If I may suggest, when working on designing forms (or anything else) make duplicates with different names after several changes, so if it crashes you can always go back to your last one save, and you will be able to figure out what caused it to crash. I am writing apps with Alpha for over 15 years and in the few cases when I had forms crash on me, most of them where a design error of my part.

Remember; Backup & Backup & Backup……………………………..

rmssoftware
02-25-2007, 05:45 PM
I too have been developing apps in Alpha for over 15 years and I used to do that until version 5 A5V5 which in my opinion is the fastest and most stable version Alpha has. I guess you may be right but why do we have to go to all that just to keep from getting blown up by the software. I don't know of any other application development program that has problems like this. I still use Alpha5 V5 as my core development platform and have built a very sucesfull business with it. I only hope that Alpha will fix all these bugs soon so we can use it in developing top quality software for our clients. On the next version of Alpha I plan to wait at least a year before getting into it to get the bugs out.

deano
02-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Fred, I had the same problem, reported it to Alpha one evening, Selwyn had it fixed next day and should be in the next patch.

Gary

rmssoftware
02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Thats great! But, when are they going to release the next patch. The bugs are killing us out here.

Cian Chambliss
02-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Fred - if your forms you worked on still exist, they will load with the patch, even if theyreport an error. This bug was in form load, not in form save.

Selwyn posted a beta of the patch that addresses this bug last week at:

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a5v8download/betapatchdownload.htm

Thanks,
Cian Chambliss

rmssoftware
02-25-2007, 06:09 PM
IT WORKED !!!!! The patch worked!

Now to get my chair recovered after my rear end ate the cover off when the 5 hours of work crashed.

Bob Whitaker
02-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Regret to say I am still experiencing this very major problem despite having downloaded patch 1256_3057.
My work is at a dead stop as every time I modify a form and try and re-load it I get the error message featured above.

Bob Whitaker

Bob Whitaker
02-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Have submitted a bug report. The problem seems to raise its head when you edit a number of objects on the form.

Bob Whitaker

Cian Chambliss
02-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Bob has sent his form, I and was able to reproduce the problem he is running into - its the same kind of problem, just in a different line of code.

I have submitted a fix, which should make it into the next patch.

Bob Whitaker
02-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks Cian that nailed it.

Bob