PDA

View Full Version : A small, "microscopic" bug.

ABC123

G Gabriel
03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
This is so trivial, but still a bug:
You need to click on the "X" twice to close an open form, or alpha.

Tom Cone Jr
03-03-2007, 02:45 PM
That's not what I see here, using XP Pro.

I load A5v8, opened AlphaSports, closed the app, but left the control panel showing. From there a single click on the Alpha Five 'X' (topmost, right corner) closed both the database and Alpha Five.

Please post step by step so we can trace your steps on our systems.

Also, tell us what operating system you're using.

turbojack
03-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I have had the problelm some time & other times not. I have not been able to put my finger on what & when it will do it. Using both a XP Pro & TS with 2003X64

G Gabriel
03-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Tom:
Open a form in v8
Press the right-Upper corner "x" to close the form.
Need two clicks to close a form, one for a browse, two for alpha.

Peter.Greulich
03-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I only need one click to shut down a form, report or A5.

G Gabriel
03-04-2007, 12:55 AM
..must be the boggie man!

Mike Wilson
03-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Gabriel,
That would be "boogie man" and it seems for me to have hit your download because I get an unusual media file opened with it. To tired right now to srt it out. Tomorrow, goodnight!

G Gabriel
03-04-2007, 02:06 AM
..Yeh..that boogie man..
I uploaded a video clip showing screen sequence, maybe I was dreaming, but I opened the zip and it showed the clip..Now it's not showing anything!
I will try to re-do it.

Allright..second try:
No..that did not work either..
I think I figured out why..you have to have the clip and the zip file. But the Message Board will not allow video upload!
Too bad. Sorry!
I believe Richard is working on adding this as a feature.

Correction:
You don't need both. I was trying to get around the inability to upload a video clip by compressing the file, but obviously that did not work.

gmeredith17
03-04-2007, 04:05 AM
I have experienced the double click to close a form. I wondered if the form had lost focus and the first click gives focus and the second click closes it. I know that this shouldn't be the case but just a thought.

Phil Rolf
03-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Add me to the list of having to click twice for closing V8 or a form....

Along these lines, yesterday I reported a bug (and alpha verified) that if you have a hotspot on your form. When you click on the hotspot and then leave the hotspot the hand indicating that you were on a hotspot does not disappear. You have to click once (off the hotspot) to get rid of the hand and then click a second time on the object that was displayed.

Tom Cone Jr
03-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm wondering if the double click to close form is resulting from a Windows setting?

What operating system are folks using?

What mice are you using?

Phil Rolf
03-04-2007, 09:46 AM
XP Pro/Wireless mouse, the same happens on another computer using the same setup.

rmssoftware
03-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I've had that problem even in V5. Might be windows but it only hapens with A5 and applications running Alpha. No other programs do it on any of mine.

peterg000
03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Since it looks like a split on it happening to some and not happening to others, maybe someone who has it happening to them can put together a small example and post up here .... then the ones that arent having it happen can check out. This would tell us if environmental.

Just an idea ....

Glenn

G Gabriel
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Tom:

I'm wondering if the double click to close form is resulting from a Windows setting?
I don't think it has to do with Windows or mice. Why?
I created a simple form as a test. It closes with one click.
The other forms are a bit loaded with objects: image, RTf, few more..etc.

Thought maybe that form is corrupted. No.
Duplicated that form, removed the image, now it closes with one click.
Could the image be the culprit?
This bug is growing!

rmssoftware
03-04-2007, 11:35 AM
The problem is that there is no error message when it happens. You just have to click on it twice and wait.

smrogers
03-04-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm not having the problem... can open a form or browse, then click the "X" on the main Alpha window and everything closes down... running V8 Build 1282-3060 with Vista Business...

Tom Cone Jr
03-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I think Glenn's idea is a good one. If it's important to you, put together a working example and post it here, or ship it on to Alpha. Perhaps particular objects with the form itself are misbehaving...

-- tom

brett s
03-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I have noticed this behavior too that requires a window to be "closed" twice before it will do so. It occurs in the following circumstances:

1. If I have Xbasic code registered to run when my A5 application closes, I will need to click on my close button twice before my application will close.

2. If I have a form opened and hidden, and later in my code I want to make this form visible, I will have code like this:

pForm.show()
pForm.activate()

This appears to be the recommended best practice as per the A5 documentation. However, manually closing the form seems then to require two closes. I have tried omitting the activate command and this seems to avoid the double close problem with no other adverse effects noted.

These problems are not general but only occur in applications where I use the two features above.