Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

UX - load new record and repopulate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UX - load new record and repopulate

I have a "classic" scenario where the user browses the Reservations table using a grid, and either clicks the button to add a reservation (UX) or click the ReservationID to load that same UX in editing mode.
    Many times the customer would like to load a different reservation, maybe by entering the ReservationID in the ReservationID field or clicking a button that would ask for the REservationID to load.

How can i do that?

Thanks
    Jaime

Re: UX - load new record and repopulate

Sounds like you need to impliment an easy search/filter function. Just add a button that would always show up on the grid, when it's clicked have then type in the id, check to see if the id exists, and if so refilter to edit, and if not go to add a new record. I may be missing something....but it seems simple enough.

Comment

Hi thanks for jumping in.
      I don't have problems with the grid, i want to load a different record **while not leaving** the UX, i.e in the UX enter a different ID and have it load the data and refresh the UX for the newly typed id

Comment

Jaime, Can you please post a sample application / screenshots so we can all get on the same page
        Alex Collier

"The spread of computers and the Internet will put jobs in two categories. People who tell computers what to do, and people who are told by computers what to do"

AA Builds from 5221_5152 to Pre-releases >> Deploying to IIS in AWS

Comment

I'll try to explain this more clearly. If that doesn't help, i'll take screenshots.

I use a Read-only grid to browse Reservations. One field is the ReservationID which is set as link. Clicking on it runs the ajax callback "Run UX to Edit current row in Grid or Add new..." . In the Ajax callback settings it's set to "Edit" the UX.
          So clicking on ReservationID number 1234 for instance brings up the UX where the data for ReservationID 1234 is populated.
          At this point, sometimes the user wants to load ReservationID 1255 in the UX. Currently she has to close the UX, then lookup the ReservationID 1255 in the Grid then click on it to have it loaded in the UX.
          What i would like is instead of all this, to not leave the UX, just for instance enter the 1255 value in the ReservationID field in the UX and have it populate the UX with the new values

Jaime

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I'm confused. You say you have a grid and also mention a UX. So, do you have a grid embedded in a UX?
              Pat Bremkamp
              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Jamie,
                How about redesigning your UX as a list(the grid part) with a detail view for the list. Then have a search part for the list. Panelcards could be used to bring the detail view into view if space is short.

Comment

I do something like this. Where do you put your reservation ID now in the UX? In a label? Just put it in a textbox. If the textbox value is changed (e.g. someone keys in a different number) run an Ajax callback and update the UX.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
                    I'm confused. You say you have a grid and also mention a UX. So, do you have a grid embedded in a UX?
                    Hi Pat
                    It's the "classic" scenario used for browsing a table (read-only grid) and using a UX for editing rows on that grid - when you click on a specific field in the grid, it runs the Ajax callback "open a UX to add or Edit current row in grid"
                    The issue i have is i don't want to close the ux ( back to the grid ), look up a new reservation, click on it ( brings up the ux for editing ), but rather stay in the ux and load from there a different record

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Gurd View Post
                      Jamie,
                      How about redesigning your UX as a list(the grid part) with a detail view for the list. Then have a search part for the list. Panelcards could be used to bring the detail view into view if space is short.
                      Thought about this, but it's too much pain, and the grid does a great job which will be hard to top with the list

Comment

Originally posted by lvasic View Post
                        I do something like this. Where do you put your reservation ID now in the UX? In a label? Just put it in a textbox. If the textbox value is changed (e.g. someone keys in a different number) run an Ajax callback and update the UX.
                        Exactly! My question is what Ajax callback to run

Comment

here is a thinking, haven't tested this yet.
                          Code:
                          you have read only grid when you click on a button a dialog opens to edit that record, you also want to just change the number pertaining to the id then the corresponding record should come and you should be able to edit and save.
                          if so far correct, i do not believe you can accomplish this without coding yourself to do all those things.
                          here is the outcome of that thinking:
                          1> keep the read only grid.
                          2> create a dialog to match the table fields and on the id field onChange event do an action javascript to populate the dialog with the rest of the data from the table.
                          3> on dialog execute event declare a variable and set it to parent object and using that get the id and put that into the dialog id. ( since onChange event will fire it will populate the dialog, same thing when you change the id.
                          4> on the dialog submit you do not use built in save action, but you use your own connection string and update sql query to backend ( if i remember it is mariaDB)
                          5> in the grid on the button to open the dialog, turn off warn if component is dirty, and turn off using cache dialog.
                          this might do what you want to do.
                          if i have time i will test sometime this week.

edit: if you do not need to edit the data then submit reset buttons are not needed nor the self written update sqlQuery.
                          then you can keep all the things you have except add the on change event for the id.
                          Last edited by GGandhi; 12-27-2017, 10:38 AM.
                          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                          mysql backend
                          http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                          [email protected]
                          1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
                            here is a thinking, haven't tested this yet.
                            Code:
                            you have read only grid when you click on a button a dialog opens to edit that record, you also want to just change the number pertaining to the id then the corresponding record should come and you should be able to edit and save.
                            if so far correct, i do not believe you can accomplish this without coding yourself to do all those things.
                            here is the outcome of that thinking:
                            1> keep the read only grid.
                            2> create a dialog to match the table fields and on the id field onChange event do an action javascript to populate the dialog with the rest of the data from the table.
                            3> on dialog execute event declare a variable and set it to parent object and using that get the id and put that into the dialog id. ( since onChange event will fire it will populate the dialog, same thing when you change the id.
                            4> on the dialog submit you do not use built in save action, but you use your own connection string and update sql query to backend ( if i remember it is mariaDB)
                            5> in the grid on the button to open the dialog, turn off warn if component is dirty, and turn off using cache dialog.
                            this might do what you want to do.
                            if i have time i will test sometime this week.

edit: if you do not need to edit the data then submit reset buttons are not needed nor the self written update sqlQuery.
                            then you can keep all the things you have except add the on change event for the id.
                            That's more or less what i thought doing ( in the onChange or onBlur of the ReservationID field reload the data then refresh the UX fields with the loaded record ). I posted here thinking there is a basic alpha anywhere function that does just that, like LoadPrimaryKeys or similar...
                            I'm pretty sure this can be done with just a few Alpha Anywhere commands, i believe even client side

Comment

I think you really need to investigate using the UX component with List and Details view. Then use a "hidden" search panel to accomplish what you want. Very easy to setup using a LIST control in the UX. I think you will find it much easier to impliment what you want that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X