Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Question on SQL Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on SQL Server

This almost starts with "Once upon a time ..."
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 05-09-2016, 07:52 PM. Reason: Moved after chastized by another member

Re: Question on SQL Server

Now the question. Wouldn't it be better to ask this in the application server area rather than the desktop area?
    There can be only one.

Comment

Gosh ... since the question applies to V11 Desktop but the V10 Server, which should it be put in? Wouldn't want to make a second mistake.

Comment

Question on SQL Server

This almost starts with "Once upon a time ..."

For several years I've owned a public database dedicated to a breed of dog. It was programmed by another individual (developer) using SQL Server and then maintained by another. I put together the functional description of what the maintainer needed to do and provided the support for the some 1200 users.

My health is no longer the greatest and I advance in years. I found a person doing much the same thing for two other breeds. She and I came to an understanding that she would absorb the data records for my breed into her database. I would continue to provide support as the administrator. (As an aside, the database now has almost 750,000 records.) However, I will not have access at the server level to the records as I had before. That's fine and I fully understand the need to keep my little fingers out of the pie.

However, I had used A5V11 to write SQL queries in the "old days" when I needed to get data in an out of the ordinary fashion. She's agreed that if I ship her the text of a query, she'll run it.

Now the question. I have the A5V10 Application Server. I also have the "database dictionary" for the database. Can I use the A5V10 Server on my machine to generate these queries? Also, where do I put the database dictionary? Finally, can anyone see any easier method to get what I'm trying to get, SQL Queries for a database I can no longer access.

Comment

Can I use the A5V10 Server on my machine to generate these queries?
          Must be my failing. I didn't see how that applied to the desktop.
          There can be only one.

Comment

You have the option depending what you want to do.
            You can do your queries in the database or with xbasic.

Just like triggers and field rules.

You can even access the sql if it is sitting on a web sever too as long as the server allows it.

One question I have is why sql on a desktop??
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Eric,

What do you mean by the "database dictionary" ? Is it an empty database, or just the table and view definitions?
              If that is what you mean, the trick is to install Sql server express on your server, or a local windows computer, and run the queries against that model database

Making the actual queries is best done in Sql server management studio, or Navicat, or some other free tool, then you can send the query to the DBA and have her run it

You could also just ask for a regular login account for that database only, just with select permissions, Sql Server is fully capable of supporting that.

Nils

Comment

can anyone see any easier method to get what I'm trying to get, SQL Queries for a database I can no longer access.
                few observation to clear out first:
                you used version 11 to generate sql queries in the old days, but now have version 10 server. confusing. you don't need alpha to generate sql query. may be that is what you found it easy. but the versions mentioned are not the same. you do need same version server and development to work together if you still want to generate the queries and then ship them to her.
                if you have the copy of the sql then you don't need to access the real server as long as the structure remains the same, generate the query here and send it out.
                if you do not have the copy all they have to do she can dump the database for you to reconstruct on your end then make the queries and ship it out.

but finally why still involved with the support. you have given the responsibility to someone. I am sure you trust her otherwise you will not have given to her. that is what is expected of anyone. then walk away. in long run you will be happy, and your 1200 or so subscribers.
                thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                mysql backend
                http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                [email protected]
                1 914 924 5171

Comment

No. I have Ver 11 on my desktop. I used it to query the database using V11 generated queries. That possibility is gone because I no longer can access the database directly using SQL.

I have the Ver 10 Application Server from my purchase of Ver 10 products.

I know how the database is formed as I have the file(s) containing the field names, field types, and sizes ... the dictionary.

Now, how do I generate an SQL Query that the database owner can execute and then send the results to me.

I will take that results file and import it into the database structure and then I can do what ever needs to be done.

For instance. Apparently in the conversion, a field value was changed from a "U" to a "C" meaning "Unknown" and "Carrier". Since this is a genetic test, the results are quite important. I need to find all instances of this and tell her how to fix them. (How I'll find them is unimportant to this discussion.)

While I really like the idea of limited access to the database, I'm new to her but not the data and she's new to both the data and to me. We're taking baby steps for right now.

Eric

Comment

try this if you have some database where you can practice
                    UPDATE table_name SET field_name = "U" where field_name = "C";
                    and run the query. if this is good ship that to her.
                    this will convert all occurrences of "C" to "U".
                    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                    mysql backend
                    [email protected]
                    1 914 924 5171

Comment

I realize that I can write them from scratch and most likely would do this for simple ones.

The more complex cases worry me. The case I gave was merely to offer an example.

Comment

First of all you should not use Alpha application server or Alpha Developer to make Sql Queries, the proper toll for this is Sql Server Management studio, which is free, or Navicat or similar.
                        I would start by installing Sql server Express on your local pc, it runs fine there and is a free download from Microsoft
                        Next create a new database and the run all the DDL scripts you have to create the database tables etc.
                        Then you can easily create the correct query to update the remote database.

Having said that, I would really suggest to get the DBA for the remote database to grant you remote access, that will take him / her 5 minutes max. And it will make your tgask much easier.
                        If they don't like the idea of having port 1433 open on the internet, either change it or use a vpn connection, or something like RdgGuard to block illegal login attempts, or make a firewall rule for your Ip.

Nils

Comment

I have the SSMS. In the past (when I owned the subject database), I used A5 and SSMS in concert to run queries and post mass updates to the database. I'm fully comfortable with this but how will I configure the connection string when I'm not allowed to execute the query? The database is now under new ownership and the new owner is unwilling to give me direct access to it. The problem is that while my portion of the database is 35,000+ records, this is only 5% of the total and she's being cautious about access.

Comment

The problem is that while my portion of the database is 35,000+ records, this is only 5% of the total and she's being cautious about access.
                            the connection string will expose all the records. would you be willing to share your database connection with anyone?, did you ? it is not question that you are dependable trustworthy or not. it is the question of safety and safeguard the information. you mentioned the database has grown to 750000 records, if your portion is just 35000 then she has to report 715000 other record related individuals that their information is accessible by another person without their consent.

it is not going to happen, if it were me.

as I mentioned earlier, it is wise to let it go. in a long run both parities will be happy. baby steps or not, these are not good steps.
                            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                            mysql backend
                            [email protected]
                            1 914 924 5171

Comment

All I want is to be able to send her a constructed query. For that I need two things, a copy of the table and a connection string of some kind. I realize that she is unlikely to provide the real connection string due to risk of exposure. I merely need to find a place where I can create one.

Thus, such a site would have the empty table and be accessible by the string. If you are saying that such is not possible, fine. I candidly did not think such was possible but I thought I'd ask. Instead, I'll just write my requirements in English and let her make up the query.

Comment

Working...
                              X