Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help getting Alpha Anywhere to give me live preview and working preview of CSS changes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help getting Alpha Anywhere to give me live preview and working preview of CSS changes.

I am trying to make custom CSS changes to the style.css file and can't get the changes to display visually to see if it did what I wanted it to before publishing live. I've tried several ways to do this and none of which have worked thus far.

I've tried the following:

1. Added style.css from Alpha_modv1 to the "Style name" section in my UI/UX properties section. (custom stylesheet based off of alpha original stylesheet that i've made and have in css folder in my alpha workspace)

2. Linked the css file directly to the a5w page that renders the web component. for example: <link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='css\Alpha_modv1\style.css' />

3. Manually copy and paste the updated stylesheet from my workspace folder to the alpha install directory under live preview folder. Example: C:\A5Webroot\LivePreview\CSS\Alpha_modv1

4. Published to local webroot with does step 3 for me in live preview folder and working preview folder so I don't have to copy paste.

5. Also tried restarting development server and closing and re-opening alpha anywhere completely because after publishing to local webroot it does say the style.css file inside C:\A5Webroot\LivePreview\CSS\Alpha_modv1 was just updated at the current time yet the changes are still not being displayed in live preview or working preview tab.

Chrome doesn't open a5w pages other than in text format so I can't think of any other way to go about this. I need to figure out a way to edit a css file or make a custom css file from scratch and make a change to it and see the change previewed after I save the style.css file. If I can't see any of the changes, how do I know the edits I'm making are what I want? I need more flexibility with css styling than alpha software allows me to do with just using their built in style areas for each component.

I have also made test changes to the css file such as:

* {
    background-color: black !important;
    }

body {
    }

to ensure that my changes are noticed when the css file updated so i'm not looking for anything subtle to change but rather something very impactful so it's easy to spot when the css preview starts working.

Re: Help getting Alpha Anywhere to give me live preview and working preview of CSS changes.

After you have set your css within a ux component or grid, what happens when you hit the working preview button? You aren't specific about any warning or error message.

Comment

Re: Help getting Alpha Anywhere to give me live preview and working preview of CSS changes.

Nathan, are you making wholesale changes to the Alpha style... or just wanting to adjust a few classes?

Comment

I feel your pain as there are a lot of options in css that you just can’t see in the style builder or at the component level when in the development process. I just publish to my server, and make the changes in dev tools (chrome) for final tweaking. there are some great css tools online to build gradient shadows, and other interesting text effects, but once you get that you can set padding and margins in the browser to visually see the change.
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Are you possibly looking for Style Tweaks? Here is a link to it:
          https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...S%20tweaks.xml

Not sure if it will help, but it sounds like what you want to do to me.

Comment

@asap rich, if I edit css inside of Alpha Anywhere software it will update the css in the live preview and working preview. The problem is the css editing options built-in to alpha aren't powerful enough for my use cases so I want to edit the entire css file by opening in my own text editor and making changes (Atom, Visual Studio Code, Notepad++ etc). When I do this and open live or working preview no changes show. I didn't mention any warning or error messages because there aren't any; it's just that all the changes I make to classes in my theme's style.css show 0 changes. I need to be able to do this for multiple reasons, 1 being media queries. When you code a css media query into Alpha Anywhere, for instance for a background color change when smaller screen width the software just reads it as a background color change rather than a media query that changes the background color when screen reaches a certain width once opened in the browser.

Comment

@WebDesignShop, Not exactly. To be more specific if you navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12\CSS\Alpha\style.css you'll find the stylesheet for the Alpha Theme. If you open that file up you'll find 2200+ lines of css selectors and classnames that your web app is using. So if you have your UX component and go to properties and set "Style Name" to "Alpha" it should utilize these css settings from that style sheet. So if I added at the top of that stylesheet:

* {
              }

body {
              }

then the entire UX background color should be black due to my custom changes I made to the stylesheet my UX component is using. My problem is that this is not the case. The background color doesn't change at all. This is just a simple example and i'm not trying to edit the background color (i can do that inside alpha's software) but there are changes I do need to hardcode inside the stylesheet and expect them to change on the components I select that style on. To be clear these changes do not show up in live preview, working preview, or in the browser both before and after saving and publishing.

Comment

That file may be the basis, but your project has it's own file. A css folder is created within your project files. You would need to modify that file to see any changes. As an example, in the project I'm currently working on today:

css_route.png

Comment

I've done exactly that and see no changes. Also copy and pasted that style sheet in all locations where it exists and still no changes show up.

Locations I've updated stylesheet are as follows:

C:\Alpha_Projects\AlphaAnywhere V12\Tracker_V3\Tracker_V3.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\css\Alpha_modv1 (my project folder like you have above)
                  C:\A5Webroot\LivePreview\CSS\Alpha_modv1 (Live Preview's Copy)
                  C:\A5Webroot\CSS\Alpha_modv1 (The root copy)

Does your software actually make the changes when you edit your css file in your project folder? Maybe my Alpha software is bugged? Already uninstalled and reinstalled it a couple times and even tried on 2 different machines.

Comment

Okay so i've figured it out to a point. I know why it's not being updated and changes aren't being shown now at least. I copy and pasted the stylesheet I made into all 3 places listed above. Then I kept the live preview folder open on 1 screen while running the live preview within alpha on another screen and it literally takes whatever css file is in there and overwrites it with another smaller file. No idea where it's getting that file from or how to fix this, but that's why none of my changes are showing or being saved. As soon as I click Live preview then full preview all my changes get overwritten....

Comment

I must admit I do this a different way. I go and copy a default style sheet. Then, I use the style builder to edit that style sheet. I can easily make changes to it and it has no issues....other than the fact that I can't just use an external style sheet (which is a major drawback as of now). So, I haven't tried to do what you are doing. It does appear though that the default style is what is carrying through for you.

I would say the easiest way to solve your issue is to go through the convoluted process that Alpha wants you to follow for styling...atleast it works.

Comment

I figured it out. Host your product on local server and navigate to that local server in your browser. (192.168.0.0/{insert file with .a5w extention here} for example). Then move any stylesheet you want to use to the root folder C:\A5Webroot\CSS\{name of your custom theme here}. Whenever you make any edit to the style.css file there and save it you can refresh your browser with the server hosted page and it automatically reflects your changes. LivePreview overwrites the file so you can't view it in live preview, the work-around I found was hosting on a local server and just hitting refresh. Hopes this helps y'all! You can change absolutely anything this way.

Comment

Cheers
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                          X