Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Alpha can not log on to server and create the rmuf file. Mapped drive has Red X.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

Default Alpha can not log on to server and create the rmuf file. Mapped drive has Red X.

I’m having a weird problem with a windows 7 64 bit computer networked on a domain and alpha5V8 runtime. The data files are on a mapped drive on a remote server.

First, this is the only computer I’m having problems with. I have other computers running XP and Windows 7 using A5V8 with no problems what so ever.

This was a new computer built by a local computer store. I installed the alpha application and it ran fine for 5 weeks. Then alpha could not create the rmuf file. Shortly after, the entire computer crashed. The shop did their magic and we started over again.

Everything was fine for 7-10 days and then the problem started again.

If you do a file, open, all the server mapped drives have a red X through them. If I mouse click on one of the red X’s, all the red X’s disappear. I then close alpha and reopen the application using the shortcut and all is good in the world. Alpha will work every time until the computer is restarted.

When rebooted, alpha will not be able to log into the server and create the rmuf file. Again, file, open, click on the red X, the X’s go away and alpha is fine.

The really weird part, if I remove alpha 5 and do a reinstall, everything runs fine for about 7-10 days, then the problem starts all over again.

Does anyone have any ideas. The runtime is installed on the C drive in it’s own folder. The database is shadowed and located in a subfolder of the alpha 5 runtime.

TIA,

Ron

Real Name
    Terri Hernacki

Default Re: Alpha can not log on to server and create the rmuf file. Mapped drive has Red X.

Hello Ron

Just looking through the boards for another problem and saw your post here. I know it's been over a year, but we have the same issue. I have just taught my people to click on the red X, watch the drives turn 'green' close the program and reopen it. All works well until the next time they have to reboot their computers. AND with several machines here running Win 7, some encounter the red x's, some do not have it all. I have no idea what the difference is !

Terri

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Alpha can not log on to server and create the rmuf file. Mapped drive has Red X.

Have you tried not using a mapped drive?
    in other words, if your server computer has the name server1
    then you would create the shadow by way of //server1/path to shared folder/name of adb.
    It would test if it is something with mapping.

mapping a drive simply goes to a folder on the other computer like: h:\data\test.adb
    the other way it is //server1/data/test.adb
    Because you have a shared folder named data?

Make sense?
    Last edited by DaveM; 06-01-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Robin

If on the server your files are on c:\a5v11\appdir, then when you map the server's shared c:\a5v11 folder, it becomes h:\appdir on the desktop. That is the directory you use when creating the shadow. However if you take a peek at the shadowed table content (I use DBFPlus for this), you will see \\server1\a5v11\appdir\tablename.dbf
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Another possible issue.
    Although it is very lax of late, servers including peer to peer computers have a maximum connections. It can be from 5 to 10-15 depending on the version of windows. I have connected up to 40 at one go without incident, but that may not always be the case and the error should show differently than what you have. Still, food for thought.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Inner Sound

I figured out a solution to this problem - if anyone out there is experiencing the same thing.

windows, run, regedit
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    right click, add "dword"
    name it: EnableLinkedConnections
    set value to: 1

This will let windows automatically acquire mapped network drives.
    Solution source: http://jacobthegeek.com/windows-7-ma...ntil-selected/