Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Returning JSON Data from remote Server using a Button's JavaScript on Click Event

Real Name
    Mark Moss

Post Returning JSON Data from remote Server using a Button's JavaScript on Click Event

Help

I have been stuck on this for over a week and admit that I need some HELP.

I am trying to return a JSON data file from a Remote WEB Server and I am getting the following error "Uncaught ReferenceError: processJSON is not defined".

The JSON data is being returned but it is not running the processJSON function. I am viewing the results in Google JavaScript Console.

The code is in the onClick JavaScript event of a button on a UX form.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated

Mark Moss

function loadJSON(url) {
    var headID = document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];
    var newScript = document.createElement('script');
    newScript.type = 'text/javascript';
    newScript.src = url;
    headID.appendChild(newScript);
    }

function processJSON(feed){
    document.writeln(feed.makeName+'<BR>');
    }

loadJSON('http://api.edmunds.com/v1/api/toolsrepository/vindecoder?vin=5NPET4AC2AH624786&api_key=8xgy9vtfr4pk2r7rf3phxr73&fmt=json&callback=processJSON');

"Certified" Alphaholic TheSmitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah

Default Re: Returning JSON Data from remote Server using a Button's JavaScript on Click Even

Your processJSON function is defined inside the onClick JavaScript event for the button. loadJSON adds a call to processJSON in the head of your document.

Code:
    <head>
       processJSON(...) being called
    </head>
    <body>
      <!-- but processJSON is defined inside the onClick event for some input object! That's no good -->
      <input type="some element..." onClick="function loadJSON(...) {...} function processJSON(...) {...} loadJSON('...');" ...>
    </body>
    <head> doesn't know that it needs to look inside the onClick attribute for one of the elements in your DOM to find the definition for processJSON.

Here's someone else who had the same problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...-readyfunction

You need to move your processJSON function outside the onClick function. There's a Code > Javascript Functions section for Grids & Dialogs...

---
    Sarah

Real Name
    Mark Moss

Default Re: Returning JSON Data from remote Server using a Button's JavaScript on Click Even

Sarah

Thank you so very much for your reply, it fixed the problem that I was having.

Mark

"Certified" Alphaholic TheSmitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah

You're welcome!

And know that when you get JavaScript errors that searching StackOverflow.com (add site:stackoverflow.com to your google query) is an EXCELLENT resource.

---
    Sarah