Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: How to do COMPLETE BACKUP of all A5v7 tables, sets, rules, databases, etc for CD archive

Real Name
    Denny Johnson

Default How to do COMPLETE BACKUP of all A5v7 tables, sets, rules, databases, etc for CD archive

Hello,
    I remember reading quite awhile ago that the Utilities Backup produces an inadequate copy; i.e., one that cannot be utilized as is on another computer.

Does anyone recall how to perform a backup which is complete in case my hard drive fails?

Ideally, I would like to transfer to CD/DVD.

Thanks,
    Denny

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Default Re: How to do COMPLETE BACKUP of all A5v7 tables, sets, rules, databases, etc for CD archive

I always use that one for all offsite backups to restore and to put on other computers.
    I prefer because it's easier to select what to exclude and save several purpose combinations.

Real Name
    Bill Abraham

Default Re: How to do COMPLETE BACKUP of all A5v7 tables, sets, rules, databases, etc for CD archive

Good question and for the same reason as Denny.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

The key question here is whether the database files (data and dictionaries) are located in a single folder. If so, a zip or backup of the entire folder gets all you need to run the database on a different machine. If your database files are stored in more than one folder then you must zip or backup all folders involved in the app. Having done that you will find it difficult to run on a different machine unless the files are unzipped / restored into the same drive and folder structures on the new machine.

Real Name
    Bill Abraham

Exactly, Tom, as it would be with any other program.

Problem is, on installation, on database creation and on subsequent use, A5 seems to put things in different places, almost at random. Quite unlike A4, A5 has little or no documentation that I know about. So a user doesn't know for sure what files or file extensions to look for.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Check the helps for "File Types".

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Part of the issue is that developers LET alpha stick stuff wherever with no direction. Then the developer creates extra folders outside the adb folder.

If the developers makes sure the paths are set every way possible and extra folders are contained within the app folder, then backup becomes easy with a good zip utility.

Note: Look in settings/directories to get started, but that is not all of it.

Opinion: alpha should give the developer access to set all of it so it would be made easier for us.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Bill Abraham

A-Men to that, Dave.

Real Name
    Denny Johnson

Thanks for comments and observations. Next week I hope to have time to make a couple of folder changes. Having not made any more than a couple of records (none saved), perhaps it will prove easier than expected...we'll see ;-)