Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Native Vs. External

Real Name
    Jack

Default Native Vs. External

Hey guys and gals, I am new to Alpha and fairly new to databases (after 6 years of MS Access I still know nothing!)

I am building a database for customers, invoices and employee time logging. Our users will manage the data almost 100% of the time from a mobile device, and at least for now, we will create the application as a web project. I have dabbled around a bit with Alpha for about a week now, and realized I really didn't know much about how the connection strings work. I already ordered hosting with ZebraHost, and we already have Office365, complete with a working (word is used loosely) SharePoint.

Now with the background out of the way, could you please tell me the pros and cons of:

A) External: Creating SQL tables and connection strings through Alpha (Tools>Create SQL Table...) that reside on a SharePoint
    B) Native: I don't know much about this yet but I am guessing the tables would reside on the ZebraHost server within the Alpha files?)

Some of the functionality I need that may limit this would be tables that can be backed up easily, an application that can be updated (I'm talking about front end code stuff, not modifying table structure) but can still retain data that may have been added or changed while the update was being developed, and the ability to initially import data from our existing MS Access 2013 desktop database (or from one of the export options available for Access).

Again, I am new to this. Any and all info will definitely be appreciated, so if you need to school me or offer an alternative to how I am looking at this, I am all ears.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Native Vs. External

I am not going to get too deep in this because others here have more experience with alpha and certainly zebrahost.

Most(not all hosts) will retain the database outside your account, but only accessible to you. Some hosts allow you to put your database where you want to.

Most use something like navicat, sqlyog, or to manage the database. You never said what databse but a lot of people prefer ms version of sql with alpha. The database you choose may determine the tool to a great deal and some are free. I normally use MySQL and have mysqlyog because of that. Others use toad or navicat, but these are all premium. Some hosted sites supply tools for the database and some do not.

Using Zebrahost, and since you already signed up, probably mssql and navicat. When you connect alpha to a sql database, it will help you immensely with the connection strings.

Most people need a backup method and that is included in most of the sql tools I mentioned.

Updating from the front as in Data is done by your programming in alpha.

Generally, on a windows server, your db is in it's own folder and your application is in it's own folder.

Others will jump in here with more and maybe better answers.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Jack

Thanks for your reply David. That certainly helps me see the spectrum of possibilities out there for Alpha. I believe my DBs will be the MS version of SQL you mentioned.

As far as I know, none of the tools you mentioned or even any other ones have been made available to me by ZebraHost. I either remote in or FTP their server and just transfer over the app files.

ZebraHost mentioned a backup option for 25 a month I believe, but I did not see a need for it while we are still in development, and I wanted to see what my options were.

Due to A record updates taking a long time between GoDaddy and Microsoft name servers, I haven't even managed to view any of the tests I've made online, and I still haven't figured out what the URL of the app's main page would be in order to test the app in a real environment yet.

Today I figured out that I was aiming my connection strings at a database that resided on the SharePoint. so I moved that to over on the ZH server, but I am wanting to do the same thing with the work space, but I haven't managed to be able to do that yet. The goal here is to not be reliant on SharePoint or any one local machine at all for the development and hosting of this app, and I was wanting to do that all with Zebra Host, if possible.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Jack,

Welcome to the forum

May I suggest you do this same post in the Alpha Anywhere section of the forum Here: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...r-Applications
    I think you will get better/more responses.

I either remote in or FTP their server and just transfer over the app files.
    That is kind of normal Do you use some kind of control Panel like ??

It has been several years since I did much with alpha web side, but when I did, I built it on a local computer and the placed it on a hosted server.

Clive(and staff) will help you with information if you ask.

I think(big word here) most build locally using the c:\a5webroot with data being in another folder somewhere and then copy/backup/install to the hosted server.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Jack

Ok thanks Dave, that helps and I will post there as well.