Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Cost of progress

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Cost of progress

I see virtually no action on here but just a message.
    My first version of Alpha was given free on a UK magazine and I like it so much I purchased a version. That was many years ago. The software was easy to understand and I am proud of the applications I developed. The cost was such that I could afford it. Clearly the path that Alpha took was not one which would include me. I am sure the software on offer now it's excellent and good value for what it doors but the cost is now far beyond my means. Such a pity.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Cost of progress

I was talking to another developer about just that today. We thought a good approach would be if Alpha cut a version of the product that only allowed like 100K rows of data or something, and provided that at an entry-level pricing.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Cost of progress

I think if they offered the hosting of the database itself they could give away the software and charge by the data transfer. I would suggest a seperate "version" of the software that would only work with their hosted servers. I think this would allow for extremely cheap development of apps - and more of them - while the more successful ones would pay for the database usage - somehow I think it's very fair. If you've got custoemrs you've got the cash to pay for the service.

As it stands I have invested at least 4k+ getting my SAAS started (probably more counting all the failed attempts) and I continue to pay for Alpha-Software. I think the product is awesome and they deserve my money - but it would have been nice to develop this on my own without all the costs. In the end, my product is fully ingrained in alpha in so much that as they develop new ideas I stay abreast - this is a great feature. If I had a few hundred customers - this would not even be a concern but as a start up this is coming from my income from my "day job".

Am I complaining? No not really, as I am having a blast learning daily! What ever they decide - if the quality is there, I'm all in.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Please ignore and excuse ANY posts I make in the desktop section - as an idiot, I am prone to reply in the wrong section - and I don't know diddly about the AS Desktop development.