Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Running A5v8 in Windows 8.1

Real Name
    Richard Merchant

Default Running A5v8 in Windows 8.1

There are some other threads commenting on running Alpha5v8 in windows 8.1, compatibility issues and so on. I haven't seen the following problem described.

I have had no trouble with Win7 but with the new Win 8.1 machine a funny problem...

No problem installing. Even seems to run adequately but with every operation (and I mean every operation) the window redraws the tools (or is it the toolbar - the edit/view/data/... bar). Consequently, despite being quite fast a machine the program actually runs quite slowly. I have tried all available compatibility modes except DOS (is there a DOS compatibility mode?). Nothing seems to make a difference... In my Win7 setup I ran it in XPu3 compatiblity but that makes no difference with this setup.

Anyone offer an explanation or solution to put it up to speed? I have a single app I run on this so I don't think there is any merit in my buying an new version of A5 for this...

Thanks Richard
    Richard Merchant
    amateur Alpha user
    I liked the simplicity of A4. Migrated to A5 but want to stay at v8. With Windows10 it ain't easy!...
    :o

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Running A5v8 in Windows 8.1

Something in the windows setup? or
    I have windows 8.1, v8 and an app that is built in v8. It works well enough.
    There is no problem with speed as it is faster here than on win7.
    Alpha is running in XP3 compatibility here.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Andrew Schone

I had the exact same problem with A5v8 on a Windows 8 machine couldn't get it figured out so I upgraded to A5v11.
    Andrew

Real Name
    Bill Parks

Quote Originally Posted by rnmerchant View Post
    There are some other threads commenting on running Alpha5v8 in windows 8.1, compatibility issues and so on. I haven't seen the following problem described.

I have had no trouble with Win7 but with the new Win 8.1 machine a funny problem...

No problem installing. Even seems to run adequately but with every operation (and I mean every operation) the window redraws the tools (or is it the toolbar - the edit/view/data/... bar). Consequently, despite being quite fast a machine the program actually runs quite slowly. I have tried all available compatibility modes except DOS (is there a DOS compatibility mode?). Nothing seems to make a difference... In my Win7 setup I ran it in XPu3 compatiblity but that makes no difference with this setup.

Anyone offer an explanation or solution to put it up to speed? I have a single app I run on this so I don't think there is any merit in my buying an new version of A5 for this...

Thanks Richard
    I have the exact issue and it did not improve with Windows 10 as I had hoped. I only use Alpha 5 three or four times a week, so it is pointless to spend money on an upgrade. Has anyone come up with a solution?

Real Name
    Richard Merchant

Interestingly, I was similarly bothered in Win10 which I randomly decided to upgrade my Win7 machine to. Funny slow running.

Then Win10 took a dive on me - one of those fatal flashing screens - and I was forced to reinstall from scratch. Now, in my new Win 10 configuration, the program runs just fine. Faster than ever, I would say.

So perhaps the Win 8.1 problem's solution is to upgrade to Win 10. Also potentially adds other problems, but ... what the hell.

R
    Richard Merchant
    amateur Alpha user
    I liked the simplicity of A4. Migrated to A5 but want to stay at v8. With Windows10 it ain't easy!...

Real Name
    Dave Mason

windows 8.1 had a few issues that very few would find.
    never shut the machine off when an update is happening - it may never start again
    never force close win8.1 - like pulling the plug
    win 10 is supposed to be much better.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Richard Merchant

I said back in Nov 2015 that I was - at that time - having no problem. I now have to correct that: I am having the same problem as before - while the A5v8 will actually run it does not run properly and things seem to flash on and off.

Having said that, I run a very simple database which, like Bill, I use infrequently so I have no desire to upgrade and am putting up with the issue when I have to use the system. I actually have an older Win7 laptop on which I run the program if I have to do anything more than entering a datapoint.

Still it is unfortunate but the way of the world. Nothing seems to last forever.
    Richard Merchant
    amateur Alpha user

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by rnmerchant View Post
    I said back in Nov 2015 that I was - at that time - having no problem. I now have to correct that: I am having the same problem as before - while the A5v8 will actually run it does not run properly and things seem to flash on and off.

Having said that, I run a very simple database which, like Bill, I use infrequently so I have no desire to upgrade and am putting up with the issue when I have to use the system. I actually have an older Win7 laptop on which I run the program if I have to do anything more than entering a datapoint.

Still it is unfortunate but the way of the world. Nothing seems to last forever.
    What if you run in XP or Win 7 mode?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Richard Merchant

I've tried a variety of compatibility modes. I have it currently configured for XP3 but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have both the shortcut and the alpha.exe executable configured this way following the advice of a different contributor, but again it doesn't seem to matter. I wondered vaguely if there are any other parts of the alpha5 package that could be "compatibilized" but I don't know enough about how these programs run, nor about the windows workings, to know whether such a maneuver would make any difference.
    Richard Merchant
    amateur Alpha user