Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: A change at the top

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default A change at the top

For those whom are following along at home, but may not have noticed, we had a silent shift at the top of the leader board.

Perhaps it's fitting that it comes during the NCAA basketball tournament, or maybe not.

The 2 top leaders in the post counts switched places.

Stan Matthews edged over Tom Cone, Jr in the lead for most posts. And if I may add these are almost exclusively answers to questions rather than posting questions for both of the leaders. Both leaders provide a wealth of knowledge and experience to make this messageboard an invaluable asset to Alpha users worldwide.

Stan - your efforts in helping the Alpha community are widely appreciated from all members of the group.

Your work with the desktop, xbasic, and OLE methods stand out along with your good-natured approach to a very technical messageboard.

Personally I'd like to thank you for keeping me on track during the numerous times I fall off on a tangent.

Well done and thank you.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Jim Oliver

Default Re: A change at the top

I would like to echo Al's sentiments about Stan and Al but would like to expand the list to include Al and a couple of hundred of others. You have saved me countless hours of frustration and I will be forever grateful.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I'll just say that if it weren't for Tom and several others helping me in my early years I wouldn't be in a position to aid anyone. Just trying to repay that debt.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Stan has done a great job of repayment, as he calls it.

1651 per year
    134 per mont
    4.5 per day
    That is an average and from the old days, I know that it is more of late than it was several years ago.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

... And you guys are all old timers from the pre-2000 years. There was a bulletin board before this one, and prior to that was the one on Compuserve. In total, these boards span over 20 years, now.

I have always been impressed at how much effort so many put into this board (not myself, but people like you folks at the top of this thread.) I suspect you enjoy the challenge of the puzzles like those out there hooked on crossword puzzles, but I always wonder at what personal cost.

Tom, for example, comes up with methodical read-between-the-lines solutions. His ideas always offer a way to come in for a landing on a better runway.

Stan, I think, swallowed the XBasic book for lunch sometime back, as he seems to spew out small snippets of scripts with functions buried in the back corners of the mind.

For me, this has once again become a journal I look at a couple times a day to sharpen the old blade. To you all, I say thanks.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSchumacker View Post
    Tom, for example, comes up with methodical read-between-the-lines solutions. His ideas always offer a way to come in for a landing on a better runway.
    Always better to avoid cross winds when possible. But know how to do them when needed.

Easy is smart.

Well unless you're in the Navy, then anything you can walk away from is good.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.