Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Mapped Tables, Sets and XD Browse vs XD

Real Name
    Robin

Default Mapped Tables, Sets and XD Browse vs XD

I am looking for ways to reduce processing overhead as well as multiple instances of open tables and have been reviewing the Learning Alpha site. In an article titled Simplify your application I found it interesting that Dr. Wayne returns to a typical DOS model for data entry - SDI. And I am inclined to agree with him.

I haven't worked much with mapped tables, but assume that when the mapped table is viewed that the underlying linked tables are also open? But the beauty of mapping a set's tables is the ability to now use that table in a XD record-list, since the table is only opened briefly to populate the list. Is this correct?

As for the XD browse, if it is modal at least the user must close it to continue.

So I am wondering what design features are others - who are still on desktop, utilizing for their multi-user apps?
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Default Re: Mapped Tables, Sets and XD Browse vs XD

Hey Robin, how you doing?
    I personally have not found mapped tables that useful in all scenarios due to its restrictions with writing in both directions.
    I use it in an active app, only relating physical stock items in different tables. What is the problem you want to solve?
    Devise a strategy around that, employing suitable tools for that job.
    I posted samples on the board couple of years back when I started using shadow tables (nothing to do with shadowed database) to reduce the overhead and eliminate competition for the same resources. This has been a success, in daily use to date -- here any user across the network can jump in to the same invoice form using multiple tables in the same set while everyone else is banging out quotes and invoices - except that these are shadow tables and each user is actually using their own personal set/tables, named according to their login name. Users change, switch customers and stock items, add and even erase the data and start again, affecting no-one else.
    I must admit I held my breath in the beginning once the first client went live. I think I am the only one using this in production systems. Over two years I have had not spent even 5 minutes of support on this, It hasn't broken. A little adjudication at posting time is all thats required to resolve any conflict issuing strict sequential invoice number and control.

Anyway this is not a suggestion for you but to make the point - let us take a look at the problem you wish to resolve.

Real Name
    Robin

Hi Ray,
    I was so thrilled at the results from producing an XD browse, that I made several of them; some modeless and some not, to use for repetitive record searches. The rollup feature of an XD is great EXCEPT for the fact that using a browse opens the table. And then I tried mapping some tables in a set only to discover that now I have several tables open. So I am thinking that was not as good a plan as I initially thought.

The dock panels and MDI window would probably be the best resolution, but I have not been able to create one from the few examples I have seen, so I am looking for other ideas.

From what I understand of the dock panels is that the data in the panel can be changed based on the MDI window being viewed - and they are collapsible. Perhaps I could achieve something close with an XML Toolbox...
    Last edited by MoGrace; 06-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Ray Hendler

If you are using the browse only for reference then open the table using TABLE_MODE_INFORMATIONAL
    You can do just about anything elsewhere with that table, to illustrate, I just opened a table in Excel as well as dbase (not at the same time) and can have it open in Alpha with TABLE_MODE_INFORMATIONAL

Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Scratch that - doesn't help in this case with XML browses.
    Just on midnight here not thinking as clearly as I should.

Real Name
    Robin

Ray - Where did you find that?
    Robin