Alpha DevCon 2018
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Finished Goods to Stock Database Design

  1. #1
    Member
    Real Name
    Robert Stock
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    29

    Default Finished Goods to Stock Database Design

    I'm having a tough time rapping my brain around an efficient way to design tables and sets to track the daily moving of finished goods (eggs) to stock or product inventory, and am hoping someone has a good suggestion. Specifically, it would be used to track chicken egg production. I've designed a few tables, including a "Chicken" table, with all information pertaining to each bird, including a field (EggCount) to track total production for the life of the bird. Even though the egg is the "Finished Good" I keep thinking the chickens and the eggs can be represented in the same table since, in my case, I know which eggs come from which birds. Maybe I'm not thinking something about that right, though.

    Essentially what I want to design is a database that I can log one record per day, indicating which bird layed an egg that day. During that entry I want to post a 1 egg increment in the "EggCount" field (historical total) in the "Chicken" table, for each bird that layed that day. At the same time, I want to increment the stock quantity of each egg layed in my "product stock." I don't know why I'm having such a hard time visualizing this design. Can I simply add a "Qty-In-Stock" field to my "Chicken(&Egg)" table, post any daily increments there, then calculate the total in-stock from that field for each bird? If so, can I just have a one-to-many set with the "Chicken" table and whatever table is used to record the daily layers?

    Thanks, maybe something will click overnight.

  2. #2
    "Certified" Alphaholic MoGrace's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robin
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,308

    Default Re: Finished Goods to Stock Database Design

    Sounds like a fun project. Are you planning on doing a FIFO for the eggs? How many days will you keep an egg in stock before moving it to the finished product - which I suppose could be a cake or another chicken?


    Robin

    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

  3. #3
    "Certified" Alphaholic DaveM's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dave Mason
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hudson, FL
    Posts
    5,856

    Default Re: Finished Goods to Stock Database Design

    I keep thinking the chickens and the eggs can be represented in the same table since, in my case, I know which eggs come from which birds. Maybe I'm not thinking something about that right, though.
    probably chicken in table
    eggs in separate table and connected to the chicken table in a set.
    That would be a start anyhow.
    for stock(eggs) another table where you have sent out posted and each egg adds to the stock.

    When I was a kid, we had a small egg farm(along with the other)
    we simply picked uip the eggs and marked a date on a paper above the chicken. If a chicken did not lay one for a week, we ate it.
    Last edited by DaveM; 11-17-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

    Skype is dave.mason46

  4. #4
    Member
    Real Name
    Robert Stock
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Finished Goods to Stock Database Design

    Quote Originally Posted by MoGrace View Post
    Sounds like a fun project. Are you planning on doing a FIFO for the eggs? How many days will you keep an egg in stock before moving it to the finished product - which I suppose could be a cake or another chicken?


    Haha, yeah, FIFO is what we typically try to do but not going to the trouble of marking the eggs. Once they are accounted for "in stock" it doesn't matter which specific egg it is, only which bird it came from. Actually, the "finished product" is the egg once it's collected and cleaned and that's what I want to log daily as it's added to the EggStock. At that point, the eggs can be "invoiced" out of stock to a cake, cookies, sandwich, or any number of delicious things, haha. I sell a few dozen to help offset feed costs too. I'm trying to put together a db more just for something to tinker with in Alpha, not so much because it's really needed.

  5. #5
    Member
    Real Name
    Robert Stock
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Finished Goods to Stock Database Design

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    probably chicken in table
    eggs in separate table and connected to the chicken table in a set.
    That would be a start anyhow.
    for stock(eggs) another table where you have sent out posted and each egg adds to the stock.

    When I was a kid, we had a small egg farm(along with the other)
    we simply picked uip the eggs and marked a date on a paper above the chicken. If a chicken did not lay one for a week, we ate it.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, even though the chickens are as much pets and a hobby, if they're not laying I'm not gonna keep them around long. Mine aren't caged so the only way I know which egg is from which bird is the variety of birds I have and knowing what kind of egg each produces.

    So, basically your suggestion is to treat it along the same lines as, say, a product/parts invoicing design, but maybe in reverse since instead of leaving stock, the eggs are being added to stock? I was thinking of the daily log of collected eggs consisting of a form, simply with a check box next to each bird (layed or didn't lay each day.) I wanted that to be dynamic so if I add more birds, they are already included on the collection form. I guess that could be accomplished with a one-to-many link and an associated browse object? Thanks, again.

  6. #6
    "Certified" Alphaholic MoGrace's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robin
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,308

    Default Re: Finished Goods to Stock Database Design

    Hi Robert,
    Quote Originally Posted by SWWeatherGuy View Post
    Haha, yeah, FIFO is what we typically try to do but not going to the trouble of marking the eggs. Once they are accounted for "in stock" it doesn't matter which specific egg it is, only which bird it came from. Actually, the "finished product" is the egg once it's collected and cleaned and that's what I want to log daily as it's added to the EggStock. At that point, the eggs can be "invoiced" out of stock to a cake, cookies, sandwich, or any number of delicious things, haha. I sell a few dozen to help offset feed costs too. I'm trying to put together a db more just for something to tinker with in Alpha, not so much because it's really needed.
    Tinkering with something you know about is a good way to get started in A5. Tracking the eggs produced is just the beginning. Like I said, it does sound like a fun project. You can raise a few chicks, track your expenses and your sales and just about anything in Alpha as it comes to mind. A project like this will grow almost by itself!
    Robin

    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Similar Threads

  1. Database design - Form Design
    By Larpup in forum Alpha Five Version 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 11:45 AM
  2. Offer for version 7 finished!!
    By Lance Gurd in forum Alpha Five Version 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 05:31 AM
  3. WAS - Inventory - goods in out etc. app.
    By peteconway in forum Web Application Server v7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 11:04 PM
  4. almost finished but have some questions!
    By thomas schneider in forum Alpha Five Version 5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:24 PM
  5. A4-Finished
    By Steven Srebnik in forum Alpha Four Version 6 and Prior
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2002, 06:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •