Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Parent with Children ( List control ) and grand children ( repeating sections ) binding nightmare

Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Default Parent with Children ( List control ) and grand children ( repeating sections ) binding nightmare

Hi
    In my UX i have a main table - Quotations (primary key QuotationID) . I have a list of products in that quotation which are presented in a List control bound to a QuotationLines table (primary key QuotationLineID). Editing in the list control is done through the Detail View.
    I then have 4 or 5 repeating sections, which are grand children, i.e connected to QuotationLines through QuotationLineID in a one to many relationship

The Tables binding dialog in the UX does not let me do the above setup. It needs the QuotationLines table as top level in order to let me enter the RS corresponding tables.

How can i achieve the above?

Thanks
    Jaime

Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Default Re: Parent with Children ( List control ) and grand children ( repeating sections ) binding nightmare

Alternatively, is it possible, in a UX, to have a List Control for a parent table, then in the detail view of that list have a List Control for the children, which has in it's detail view Repeating Sections for the grand children?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Default Re: Parent with Children ( List control ) and grand children ( repeating sections ) binding nightmare

You won't be able to use repeating sections this way in a single UX. You could cascade lists. So the best you can do in this scenario is have the grandchildren also be lists with detail views.

If you need the grandchildren to be editable repeating sections, then create a new UX with the quotation line as the main record. When you need to edit the grandchildren, open this new UX - with the quotation lines as the master form, you should be able to create repeating sections for all the other tables.

Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

I see what you mean. This would work but won't cut it with the customer.
    What i am trying to achieve now is as follows:
    Quotations List with detail view for a few fields ( customer, date and totals )
    QuotationLines table set as master table and as child list as well
    Repeating sections as children of quotationlines table.

Would that work?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

I don't think that will work either.

Instead, you may simply have to use the UX to hold everything and do all of the data manipulation yourself.

In other words, instead of using the UX to control the data saving, you write it yourself.

This is a more difficult way to go about it, but it can be done.

Alternatively, if you don't need to worry about using this app on smaller screens, you could use grids instead of repeating sections. You could link the grids in and keep the UX to just the Quotation and the QuoteLines.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Panel cards are awesome in large UX components like this (or with some complexity) because you can simply create another list with a detail view to edit the "repeating section" They can be child lists that are filtered by the parent list and refresh when you open them. To me that would be the easiest way to accomplish your goals - that is of course if I am understanding them.
    I prefer to put all of my navigation in the panel headers and then the save/delete in the panel footers since that allows for the lists to fill the panel cards and scrolling works like a charm then. Good luck!
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Disconnected apps are easy to understand. An internet-enabled app is like a long cat, you pull the tail on one device in New York and the cat meows in New Orleans. In the case of a disconnected app, there just isn't a cat and the meow is familiar.