Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Cascading Lists - Child List does not update when navigating with Arrow Keys

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

Default Cascading Lists - Child List does not update when navigating with Arrow Keys

I have a UX with a parent list and a child list, they are configured as cascading list as described here http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/V...transcript.htm

This is a browser application.

When navigating the parent list using a mouse to click on rows in the list, the child updates.

But when using the up/down arrow keys to navigate the parent list, the child does not update.

Same behavior in Chrome, IE and Firefox.

I am using AA version 12.4.3.1 Build 3962, running Windows 10.

Has anyone else run into this?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Default Re: Cascading Lists - Child List does not update when navigating with Arrow Keys

Not that it fixes the issue, but using the up/down keys is probably not firing the event that causes the child to update. (Probably the select event.)

Is this an old list that recently broke or a brand new list that never worked?

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

Default Re: Cascading Lists - Child List does not update when navigating with Arrow Keys

The select event in the parent list will fire an alert when navigating using the arrow keys.

What event causes the child to update? I thought it was the onChange of the parent list control. If that is true, the child should update.

This is a new list, and I even made a new UX with just the list controls in order to test.

In this case the parent list returns the Primary Key, and in the child list the "Has Parent List" is checked, The argument used in the child list query is the value of the parent list control.

I should mention that these list are based on mySQL tables.

It works perfectly when clicking with the mouse on the parent list to select a row.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

If you have already done that work AND if you have a UX that demonstrates the issue, you should send it in as a bug report.

Include a description of the problem, the sample UX and samples of the tables w/data.

But before you do, make sure you are using the latest Alpha version.

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

My AA is set to check for new updates on launch, but it has not been alerting when there is a new version.

I upgraded to the latest version, and the issue is still there.

Bug report submitted

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

I received 2 replies from Selwyn...

the javascript for record navigate does not cause a list refresh because it was not designed to do this.

you can fix this by editing the event for each of the buttons as follows

{dialog.object}._listNavigateRecord('list_countries','first');
    {dialog.object}._listRefreshCascadingLists('list_countries');
    Then 30 minutes later...

I have made a change so that now if you navigate by record and the list has dependent lists, the child lists are automatically refreshed.

you don't have to add code yourself to the navigation buttons.

this will be in the next update

Awesome response.