Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: html static cache example

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Default html static cache example

Hi

I have been trying to recreate the HTML Static cache example in the release notes. Attached a simple UX I created.

The UX runs but the app cache events don't fire.

Also, it's confusing to me how the server knows to process callbacks since the page is marked html and not a5w.

If anyone has a working example of this could you please share.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: html static cache example

Do you mean this... "Creating Offline HTML5 Applications using the Application Cache" from these release notes... http://aadocuments.s3.amazonaws.com/...easeNotes.Html

You've included the UX and HTML files... but not all the rest of the created files.

I've taken your test_static_cache UX and re-created all the required files per the videos. Then I published everything and ran the created StaticHTMLPage_test_static_cache.html page. I turned off the server-side alert you added since it was interfering with seeing the file counts displayed while loading.

It all works as set out in the videos... no issues. Ajax Callbacks work, the cache works as expected.

Your UX is rendered, in full, inside the HTML page. Normally, the UX is embedded into the a5w page... and so renders while loading.

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Hi David

Thanks for the response. I believe the issue I'm having is related to the location of the files. After I save the component it creates the html file and manifest. When I publish this to local host open with MS edge I get "Error Cache was not loaded". The only files I see are the HTML file and the manifest file. If I look in the manifest file it's a list of assets it needs for the page. When you say I didn't provide the rest of the created files which ones are you referring to. I only see the html page, the original component and the manifest file.

Thanks
    Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Inside the staticHTMLFileset folder there are the a5Images, css, and javascript folders.

Best thing to do is quickly create a new Alpha project in a new folder and then move your UX component into that project. Then open and save that UX... and all the required files will be created.
    Basically this is why you perform a publish all... to ensure you get everything. Once you know what's where then you can publish individually.

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Ok putting the test component into a new project worked.

Now I just have to figure out why...
    Thanks
    Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Did you "Publish All" from your original project?

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

So it works on a new project with No Security, but once I enable security I start to see issues. If I run check security on the publish page it tells me the HTML pages are denied, but they are all checked "always allowed" and I have the HTML file type allowed along with the *.appmanifest in allowed file types. This was probably my earlier problem when I was testing in a secured database. Can you enable security in your test workspace, see if you get the same issue.

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Ok so more progress. I had to enable folder security on each of the folders under the staticHTMLfileset.

What is strange is that while it's working I am still getting errors on check security for the main html page when I publish.

Real Name
    Jonathan Freestone

Well I can't get the static Cache to work on IIS if I have security enabled. Works without security, but with it the web.config does not allow access to the static html page.

I have tried setting "all files allowed" on every folder within the staticHtmlCache but that doesn't fix it either, plus it is quite tedious doing all those nested folders!

has anyone got the static cache working on IIS with security?

Real Name
    Jonathan Freestone

okay this is what got staticCache and app.manifest files working for me on IIS with security enabled. This would also apply to the AlphaLaunch manifest files!
    • Web Projects Control Panel
    • Open Web Security
    • Open Page Security
    • Open File Types Always Allowed
    • Add *.html and app.manifest (plus the file types created for Alpha Launch if you use it)

Why that isnt in the documentation, or just set automatically I dont know. Thats quite a few man hours lost right there!