Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Creating a check to print on blank check paper

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Default Creating a check to print on blank check paper

My client purchased 3000 blank checks and wants me to create/print the checks from Alpha. Has anyone else tried this?

The checks are completely blank so I'll need to create and place all the check elements. From what I've been reading they will need to have a MICR toner cartridge and we'll need to purchase the font for the routing and check numbers. Are there any other requirements we should be aware of?

We have attempted in the past to use pre-printed checks in conjunction with the Wells Fargo fraud control system but the combination of the two proved to be a nightmare. However, they're in a regulatory environment which requires that certain payments to customers must be made by check (even when all concerned would prefer cash) so we need to come up with a new approach.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.
    Finian

Real Name
    David Mason

Default Re: Creating a check to print on blank check paper

Finian,
    Have done this in the past(way back).
    Used a dot matrix printer in those days.
    took a copy of the paper check(I had to fill in back then). Used the check copy as a back drop on the report. filled all in and got it printing after much work. The experimented with fonts until it was useable.
    Also did payment books where we had to print up to 500 receipts in line down to create a payment book. That was harder.

The checks were really easier!
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Turns out they have had a MICR-compatible LaserJet printer, complete with MICR toner sitting around unused for a couple of years, so we should be good to go.
    Finian

"Certified" Alphaholic Tom Henkel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tom Henkel

Finian,

Years ago, we needed to produce checks from Alpha, but then all payments went to EBT. To simplify things, I made a copy of a printed check onto clear film. I used this as an overlay on the blank check paper to make sure we position things appropriately. Formatting the check shouldn't be a crazy task, it's just making sure there is enough room on the "stub" for all the line items can be somewhat tricky. I can dig up the old code and send it to you if you like.

Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Hi Tom:

Thanks for the offer, but I think I should be OK. Fortunately there's not much complicated about the payment. We have a ticket amount to be paid and a ticket number, amount and customer name to be recorded. We're using a page size sheet with two perforations. The check goes in the first panel, then check info for the customer in the second, and a tear-off to be stapled to the office copy.

This should solve the problem we had keeping track of check numbers, especially when a check needed to be re-printed, which happens way more often than it should. Now we'll be able to assign the check number when the ticket is first completed and, even if it needs to be re-printed, we can still use that number.
    Finian

Real Name
    Robin

Hope you have counselled the client on the prevention of check fraud using this system. Because a check could be printed using any routing and account number they have access to. Also the ability to reprint a check using the same check number will bypass any audit trail that would require a check be voided before it could be reprinted. Which means there could be multiple 'live' checks generated with different payees. If you add in a scanned signature file, some smart employee will figure out quickly how to write himself a check...
    Last edited by MoGrace; 08-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Good points. We have a number of actions in the application that can only be completed with a code from the manager, so we'll require a code for the reprint action. Basically, for each action, the user pushes a button and instead of completing the action, we create and save a random code, generate an e-mail and a text to the manager containing that code, and prevent the action from being completed unless that code is supplied by the manager. Works pretty well.
    Finian