Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Rich Memo Field switching records

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default Rich Memo Field switching records

I've tried to figure out what is happening and cannot get a handle on this. I have three tables in a set for Vendor Orders, the structure is in attached image. The grandchild table vndord_items_dtls has an RTF memo field that holds the majority of the Order details. When an Order is complete (call it order #10) a report is made and all is good. But several days and many orders later, a re-visit to Order#10 and the RTF memo field has been replaced with the RTF memo field contents of a different record, like record #16. Order #16 is all OK, but somehow the RTF memo field duplicated itself and replaced the rtf memo field contents of record #10. It happens sporadically, and I cannot duplicate it or see any type of pattern in it. Has anyone seen something like this before and have insight as to the cause?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike W

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Rich Memo Field switching records

I have seen record duplication-replacement bugs in Alpha occasionally over the years. It's random and sporadic. Usually, in my case, it was related to browses - can't remember the details though. If it were me, I wouldn't include the rtf table in the set. I would call the field-table as a modal dialog (or otherwise insulate the record from navigation). Can't explain the behavior, but you can probably prevent it.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

After a full backup or two...

On a backup copy of the table...

Check the size of the .fpt file for that table.

Right click the table - utilities - Check/repair memo fields - may tell you if there is a problem.

Pack the table and check the size again. If there is trouble a huge .fpt file may appear. If the size jumps to just over 2 gb, you have a corrupt memo field.

DBF's memo fields are spotty for reliability and need to be handled with care.

Sometimes the only recovery is to go to the last good copy of the table and rebuild from there. Or rebuild completely.

Many threads/posts on the subject here and in general that can be found with google or another favorite search tool.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Thanks Peter and Al,
    Great thought Al, The fpt file is a little over 2 MB on disk and no repair needed-found.. Peter, I thought about having the table separate and calling the data into an RTF xdialog. However I don't see that an RTF xdialog actually exists/works. At least using the {RTF} command in an xdialog. The text shows but not formatted. I have the field on the form as read-only and run a UDF from a form button to enter-edit that opens the a5_RTF_editor, and save the value from the editor to the table, so no direct form object entry exists. At this juncture I am going to save a copy also to a text file, from which I can reconstitute the record RTF memo from if needed. From here I'll watch to see if I can pick up the problem source, and continue to learn if there really is such a thing as an RTF xdialog (must be because the Alpha RTF editor is one) and ponder other work arounds. You know there are always work arounds!
    Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

Mike,

I have a client who about every 2-4 months would get a corrupt memo field. Not using a RTF memo. I couldn't figure out why. They spent quite a bit of money upgrading their network installing a dedicated server for the alpha database files. I had them connect to the network with a cat5 cable instead of wireless. We enter data into the memo field using 'a5_memo_editor(p,vtitle)' Then I found out that not all computers were connected to a UPS backup power supply. Not only that, some of the computers that were connected to a ups had no software to shut down the computer gracefully in the event of a power outage.

So far we haven't had an issue. Watch, I'll get a call tomorrow.
    Alpha Anywhere v3.5
    Version 12.3, Build 2999
    MySql56 & DBF's

Alpha 4, 5, Anywhere

Ron Anusiewicz

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Peter, I thought about having the table separate and calling the data into an RTF xdialog. However I don't see that an RTF xdialog actually exists/works.
    Mike,

Actually, I wasn't even thinking of an xdialog; just a regular modal form based upon the table containing the RTF.