Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Alpha Videos Won't Play

Real Name
    Erich Feigel

Default Alpha Videos Won't Play

I am unable to get any of the Alpha videos to play in either Viddler or YouTube. Any steer would be appreciated.

Video wont play.pdf

Erich F.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Alpha Videos Won't Play

As you can see by the date of the videos... that's a very old, out of date, not maintained, video library. Last entry was mid 2016.

It's just one of about 4 different areas where Alpha videos can be found.

videos.alphasoftware.com - old, out of date, and broken.

https://www.alphasoftware.com/video-library/ - not up to date... but close. No search.

Release and Pre-release Notes - Links to www.ajaxvideotutorials.com - in swf format... which is too bad because Chrome and Firefox no longer support swf files. Videos from this site always download for me now instead of playing.

Youtube - Alpha Software Channel - sometimes the videos make it here.

Within the Alpha IDE, Help, Video Finder is where, I think, you'll find everything... and there is a search... so this is the best, most consistent, update to date, place. These are links to www.ajaxvideotutorials.com.

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Bruce MacKinnon

I am having the same problem, but in the Video Finder itself. Have reported it to Engineering, who blame it on a combination of "..using an old build" (even though I have the latest), and Chrome being my default browser. They also claim to be releasing an updated Video Finder (".. in the next few weeks") that will support other file types besides *.swf (which aren't supported in Chrome). I am also getting an error "Error downloading new Video Library files" when i click on the Refresh Video Library button in the Video Finder. However, my issue is with the apparent dependency of getting an IDE feature (Video Finder) to work and what I have chosen to use as my default browser. Other than what Engineering is now saying, I haven't seen anything else that mentions this dependency. Also don't like that we can no longer search the /video-library/ site.

But now, thanks to peteconway's response, I can find a video in the Video Finder, then go to https://news.alphasoftware.com/v12pr...videos_v12.htm (in Chrome), and use Ctrl-F to find the video number.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

The problem with the web page links is that the viddler page is useless unless all you want to do is browse. You can't search and there's no way to know how out of date it is.

The version 12 page is horribly out of date.

I've had no issue with the IDE Video Finder. It's content is up to date and search works. The only issue is the horrible format Alpha chose for it's videos. SWF files are now unsupported by Chrome and FireFox... which isn't Alpha's fault (although the handwriting was clearly marked on the wall). MS Edge still works so you'd have to make Edge your default browser and then clicking a video link in the Video Finder will work - at least it does for me.

Who is Engineering? Do you mean Alpha?

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

They really should consider getting everything ported over to YouTube. It's stable and can do LIVE video as well - very searchable. SWF is the biggest PIA nowadays.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Disconnected apps are easy to understand. An internet-enabled app is like a long cat, you pull the tail on one device in New York and the cat meows in New Orleans. In the case of a disconnected app, there just isn't a cat and the meow is familiar.

Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Perhaps this another area that Microsoft messed up during their December's update.

Anyway, I had the same problem - for no particular reason the AA Video Library from the IDE stopped being able to open videos.

To fix it under Windows 10, try the following:

- Close AA and all open browser windows
    - In Windows start/search bar type:
    settings
    - Open "Settings (Trusted Microsoft Store App)"
    - Into the "Find a settings" box type:
    - Select "Choose a default web browser"
    - Under the "Web browser" label choose a different browser (mine was Internet Explorer and I changed it to Edge). Close settings panel.
    - Open AA back up and try the video library. (It will probably be able to open the videos now.)
    - Close AA and re-open the Windows settings panel if you want to switch back to your other browser. (I switched back to IE and I had to click the link to tell Windows that I really did want to go back to IE.)

Real Name
    Michael Cornford

I think Alpha is updating. Maybe worth asking Sarah, I think I saw a beta of the new system.

Real Name
    Rich Fulham

My post #7 addresses the issue in post # 4 where in the AA IDE in the window opened by "Help / Video Finder" you may find that clicking on any of the video links does absolutely nothing. Solution for me was to swap the "Default Browser" in the Windows Settings control panel.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

all Alpha Anywhere videos are also available at https://www.alphasoftware.com/videos
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 03-06-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: HTTPS URL

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

All Alpha Anywhere videos are not at https://www.alphasoftware.com/videos.

I couldn't find "Using a ViewBox to Create Nice Looking Email Messages" or "Using SQL data in a Google Chart".

Plus, videos are duplicated... so it's very confusing...

A search for "Viewbox" shows "Using a ViewBox as a List's Detail View" 3 times... under the Group Headings List Control, Mobile Apps, and Tablet.

A search for "ControlBar Templates" shows 3 videos - all the same video, but under 3 different Group Headings.

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

You can still play the swf files I use swffileplayer which I got from swffileplayer.com
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Real Name
    Richard Battle

Selwyn that video library has never worked on Firefox. I always have to open up Chrome just to get it going. Also your Youtube channel is great! Imo you should double-down on keeping that one fresh.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

It runs for me on FireFox, but there is no Full Screen options on the video player... so it's of no use.
    Under Edge, there is a Full Screen button on the video player... but it doesn't work.

Have to say... once again... testing by Alpha falls short.