Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: How to display the results of dynamic SQL?

Real Name
    Carlos Urbina

Default How to display the results of dynamic SQL?

We are developing a tablet-based Investigator Query tool for our clinical staff with Alpha Anywhere as the front end and SQL Server as the back-end. The intermediate result is a SQL Statement which can include any subset of 900+ fields distributed over 20+ tables. The front end/back end artifacts that create the SQL for the final query are complete. Now we need to know how to create a means to display the results of this query to the investigator. Being in the process of learning Alpha Anywhere, I am not clear how to create a report or grid or any other component that can display the results based on a dynamic query. In other words, we don't know what columns will be displayed until the final query is composed. I have reviewed Alpha Forum videos 4942, 4331, 2914 and 5290 for ideas and I may try something like they describe. But first I would like to ask if anyone has suggestions or videos that are closer to the problem.

Real Name
    Carlos Urbina

Default Re: How to display the results of dynamic SQL?

I also reviewed Doron Farber's blog on "Create report in Alpha Five - One Report Does It All With Alpha Anywhere".

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Hey Carlos, are you looking for actual reporting OR are you looking for displaying the data in a consistent manner using a dynamically generated list? You can display columns with a dynamic list without knowing what the fields are to start with. Generally, a dynamic list would be one that is populated by Client Side Data Cache. The CSDC is populated from an SQL query.

For actual reporting, you can also create a template system for reporting which would include placecards for fields and then insert data into those fields (using regular HTML). The template itself could be created using any HTML editor and stored in a database.

Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Carlos,
    I am not sure where to find those Videos with the four-digit numbers that you mentioned.

But, in AA, go to the "Help" menu and select "Video Finder". Put the following into the "Filter" box:

Generic SQL

Video # UXL_V12--73, "Dynamically Populating a List Columns and Data - Generic SQL Table Viewer" should be quite helpful.