Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Picture quality in PDF Reports

Real Name
    Scott Lines

Default Picture quality in PDF Reports

Is there a trick to getting jpg pictures to print in high quality in a pdf report?

The Alpha generated report preview shows the pictures in good quality. But when the A5 report is used to generate a pdf, the quality really degrades.

I've tried setting the PDF options to all of the options for picture quality, but none of them seem to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated....there has to be a way!

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Picture quality in PDF Reports

is the report built in the control panel or the project? I found an immediate difference in the images not degrading once I imported the report to the project. I do not know why it was different only that it was. It seemed like the compression I chose was never honored when it was an image in a control panel produced report.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Please ignore and excuse ANY posts I make in the desktop section - as an idiot, I am prone to reply in the wrong section - and I don't know diddly about the AS Desktop development.

Real Name
    Scott Lines

Here's more background and what I've learned:
    More background:
    1) The report is a "project" report.
    2) The report is a layout report instead of a "freeform" report.
    3) The report contains a linked layout report. It is the linked in layout report that contains the images.
    4) The pictures were being put into the layout report cell as a "field" with an attribute of "stretched"
    5) When looking at this report in Alpha preview, the pictures are fine. When the report is exported to PDF, the picture quality degrades.

What I've learned
    1) To get better picture quality, do not put the pictures in the cell as a "field". Instead use static HTML. You have to fool around with height/width settings to get the pics the size you want.
    2) Having pictures in a linked in layout report doesn't work consistently. For example, when viewing the report on my development laptop, the report would render fine. But on the production server, 5 of 7 pics would be fine...the 6th only displayed half the picture and the 7th picture did not render at all!
    3) So, I rewrote the report to get rid of the linked in layout report and the report now works fine in development and production.

I've had other issues with pictures in linked in layout reports in the past. Too many pictures caused a very long delay in rendering the report. Eliminating the linked in report in that case sped the report up dramatically.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I use the static html field as well, but did not think to mention it as being related. Thanks for your detailed find. I wonder if the linked reports need to be submitted as a bug if indeed there is an issue with them. I wonder how much memory plays a part in rendering reports on the server. I would assume if all images were 1 pixel it would render faster than if each image were 1.5mb and would several reports cause memory issues?

In my case importing the report into the "project" made all the difference, plus it makes it mch easier to upload just that one report vs control panel reports where you have to upload it all.

Have a good one, and again thanks for the post back!
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Please ignore and excuse ANY posts I make in the desktop section - as an idiot, I am prone to reply in the wrong section - and I don't know diddly about the AS Desktop development.