Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Migrate v10.5 Application to Azure Cloud

Real Name
    Scott Carr

Default Migrate v10.5 Application to Azure Cloud

Have a charity client that would like to use the Azure cloud to run their app going forward, but I have little experience with Alpha 5. It appears that they use an SQL based database with Alpha Application Server as their front end. How would I get the app migrated from the current Windows 2003 Server to Azure cloud? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Nate Battles

Default Re: MIgrate v10.5 Application to Azure Cloud

The Alpha web application files are relatively straight forward to migrate/ move over. Install the version of alpha on the new server, then move the webroot and other dependent files.

You could use something like Navicat to move the database. If they're using that old of an OS, then the SQL v. must be very old as well - would have to test a newer - support version of SQL Express, Web, Standard.

Real Name
    Scott Carr

Quote Originally Posted by nate.zebrahost View Post
    The Alpha web application files are relatively straight forward to migrate/ move over. Install the version of alpha on the new server, then move the webroot and other dependent files.

You could use something like Navicat to move the database. If they're using that old of an OS, then the SQL v. must be very old as well - would have to test a newer - support version of SQL Express, Web, Standard.
    Alpha Error.png

Here is the error that I get when I try to open the same workspace in Windows 2012 server. Should I be using Windows 2008 instead? Did I miss something during the install?

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by FarmhouseNetworking View Post
    Alpha Error.png

Here is the error that I get when I try to open the same workspace in Windows 2012 server. Should I be using Windows 2008 instead? Did I miss something during the install?
    Run in a compatibility mode - win 7 should work. - right click the program - properties compatibility - change for all users.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Scott Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Al Buchholz View Post
    Run in a compatibility mode - win 7 should work. - right click the program - properties compatibility - change for all users.
    Surprisingly that worked. Thanks Al.

Real Name
    Scott Carr

Nate,

Sorry for the newbie questions, but "database move" like physically moving the file to the new server and attaching to newer version of SQL? Or is there more involved like changing pointers in the DB?

Real Name
    Nate Battles

Default Re: Migrate v10.5 Application to Azure Cloud

If you move the database to a new server, then you would need to update your connection strings, yes - since your IPs will change.

Real Name
    Scott Carr

Default Re: Migrate v10.5 Application to Azure Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by nate.zebrahost View Post
    If you move the database to a new server, then you would need to update your connection strings, yes - since your IPs will change.
    Moved the database, changed the connection strings, attached the database, had to create 32-bit ODBC for this particular app, and got a login screen - success.

How do I create an instance of application server that runs as a service on startup?