Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Port 80 Already In Use???

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Default Port 80 Already In Use???

I'm having a heck of a problem. Many times when I'm working with the grid builder, the program seems to use so many resources of the server that the program slows way down, and all of the icons turn solid black, making it very difficult to continue working. It seems that the only way to correct this is to close out of Alpha 5 and re-open it again.

The problem with doing that is that most of the time when I do, the WAS will NOT reconnect. Instead I get a message saying that "Port 80 is already in use." Apparently the server/port does not realize that Alpha 5 has shut down, and that the WAS is no longer using it.

That being the case, the only way I've been able to get the port available again, is to reboot the server, which naturally causes all kinds of problems to the people connected to it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And if you have, do you have a work-around??

Thanks

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Default RE: Port 80 Already In Use???

Richard, why are you doing your development work directly on the server? It is much better (and typically far more convenient) to do your development work locally and then publish your application to the server once you have it working as desired?

-Lenny

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

This is quite true Lenny, but often I work from home, and at the moment our "GoToMyPC" Remote Desktop is pointing to the server, so that I can keep an eye on other things going on with the server.

When I am actually AT work, I DO work on the application on a local terminal, then publish it to the web.

I just can't figure out why the port keeps saying that it's in use when the application has been closed out.

Weird.

Charles King

I'm running local and I get the same problem and have to reboot the pc in order to reconnect

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Peter Wayne

I think the WAS doesn't always close down even though A5 seems to close down. You can do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and often see the errant fragment of A5 in the Task Manager. You can shut it down from there without necessarily rebooting the server.
    - Peter

Real Name
    Rune Back

Default Re: Port 80 Already In Use???

Had the same problem. Tried Ctrl-Alt-Del ... turned off Skype ... No more problems with port 80! (Sad, cause I like Skype)