Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Print preview

Ales SKlepic

Default Print preview

Have some problems/questions with A5V4.03 bulit 230 on Win 98:
    1. how does the the print preview work ? E.g. when I'm in a form, record number 10 and I press the print preview icon I get the record number one previewed. Why not the record no. 10 which I was currently viewing ? I thought that only in my forms I was doing something wrong. Therefore I checked out how the Sample Invoice (which comes with A5) works, but again the same situation. If I want to print preview e.g. inv. no 00005, I get 00001 on the screen.

2. How does the layout size work ? When I define in the print setup A4 format, after print previewing there are always some additional empty pages inbetween (but my layout is not bigger as A4). When I check again the print setup there is "user defined size", I change again to A4, but always it gets back to "user defined". What am I missing ?

Ales

Real Name
    Bob Kenworthy

Default RE: Print preview

As for the print preview, place a button on the screen and it will give you the option of print preview. There it will ask which records you would like to see.
    Bob

Real Name
    Bill Warner

Default RE: Print preview

A couple of suggestions that might help:

Printing a form is not going you results that are as good as creating a report to print. The report gives you much more control over the layout size, etc. Plus, you can more easily specify which records to print.

As an example, I'll have a button on a form to print the current record. The script for the button reads a unique field value (such as CUSTOMER_ID) from that record, and then does a print preview. In the report, I define the filter to match the variable that the button script defined (VAR->CUSTOMER_ID). It works VERY fast, and has been reliable.