Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Look up lists

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

Default Look up lists

I have several fields with common lookups.
    Each is in a separate (and necessary) section of the layout under different areas....

Although each are independent, all have the same possible lookup result... one of four states.

Tried a table, but with no index (only 4 recs in table) lookup shows blank screen.

Now using 'simple list' but have to type list in each of the specific fields...

Is there a way for several fields to use the same 'lookup list'????

Dick Coleman

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default RE: Look up lists

Richard Coleman wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I have several fields with common lookups.
    Each is in a separate (and necessary) section of the layout under different areas....

Although each are independent, all have the same possible lookup result... one of four states.

Tried a table, but with no index (only 4 recs in table) lookup shows blank screen.

That doesn't sound right. Was that code in the previous posting of 4 zip files or is this something new?

Are you using the lookup() function or the field rule lookup? I quessing that you are using the former and should be using the latter.

Now using 'simple list' but have to type list in each of the specific fields...

Is there a way for several fields to use the same 'lookup list'????

Yes if it is setup in the field rules (for each field) as a table lookup

Dick Coleman

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

That might not work....
    first -- these are new fields that I had not gotten to when I sent the zip files...
    Secondly, I'm running into more instances of the same type of conditions....

I need certain information available to several tables, and layouts.... Maybe what I need to do is to declare these items as global variables and just call them up when I need them... some would be called to 'replace' or 'insert into' fields; some would just be used as numeric constants for calculations on various layouts...

Sound feasible????
    D

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Richard

Without knowing what you are trying to accomplish with each field, I'm shooting in the dark. But here are some ideas.

If you want a list that an user can chose from, then use the field rule table lookup. For each field that is using that list, you'll need to make the field rule for it. The fields will all point to the same table.

If you want to have a constant that is available to all forms, reports, etc. use a global variable and assign a value at startup (perhaps using a lookup function).

If you need a particular value for a record and want it assigned when a record is created, use the field rule default and a lookup function in the default expression.

Just because a table has only four records in it, doesn't mean that it can't have an index. It's not a waste to have it if something needs it to work.

Hope that helps. Beyond that perhaps you can post a database with a table or two that needed to show what you are doing.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

thanx, I'll get back to you on this, in a bit. Need some more 'think' time....

D