Alpha DevCon 2018
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make an exe to run alpha app

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Default Re: Make an exe to run alpha app

I get it,
    I was linking this with your previous advice on packaging an app for distribution.
    Nice idea both for nosy IT personnel, and simpler desktop icon
    Would it allow for different drive letters for server at each client/terminal/remote, do you think?

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Ray,

I have not tried that, but am sure it could be done. I suspect that the drive letter would need to be designated somewhere. Since I use shadowed almost exclusively and the path for the data is in the shadowed, I have never had reason to explore what you ask. I also don't like using drive letters and prefer a path like "\\servername\folder\adbname.adb\
    That way, all is compatible.
    A couple of my clients prefer drive letters due to their IT. I made sure they knew to create all drive letters the same. They all use the letter L:
    Last edited by DaveM; 01-27-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Dave Mason

This is the current iteration I used for a new application about to go into sales.

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim tpath
    tpath = CurDir + "\alpha5.exe " + CurDir + "\pw\mypwds.adb " + "-ICON=mypwds2.ico" + " -NOMINMAX" + " -NOSYSMENU" + "-NOSPLASH" + " NODEBUG" + " -NODBCHECK" + " -NOSPLASH" + " -TITLE=MyPasswords by ALDA Consulting 352-302-2015"

c = Shell(tpath, 3)
    End
    End Sub
    Astrum installer is set to allow the user to install to any path and drive, so it was needed to change a bit of this code. The imbedded icon works wherever a shortcut is set up on a desktop. User shortcut is standard xp3-win10 that they would do for any application and would go to the name of the complied exe. This one is compiled as mypwds.exe.

v12 runtime and the app are packaged together and in and installer exe file. If the user chooses m:\xyz it will be installed there, but if user places it on \\severname\g:\mystuff it will be installed there. The shortcut is built wherever the app is installed from of course.

As far as the runtime, I send a copy of mine. No big install to it. I do run the other stuff as needed like bat, dll, msi, etc by way of the installer. If the application requires it, I send registry settings.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Notice: Since later versions of alpha no longer can create an install and the installs are more complex, I have terminated the free offer to create the installs and a startup exe. I have also retired(semi) and welcome the work for pay plan. I do create installs and exe as desired, but do charge a nominal amount for the work.
    Thanks
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Paul Hunter

Hi Dave,
    Excellent information!
    Old posting though. Not much info on runtime.
    I just want to be sure I understand correctly.
    By doing the .exe as coded substituting the variable, it will no longer say Alpha Anywhere at the top of the window?
    The splash screen will not say Alpha Anywhere?
    I can't recall but I think the wise installer for runtime says Alpha Anywhere on it and top panel, etc.
    I didn't try renaming the runtime exe, so maybe that hides it?

The other thing is a lot of the action scripting has a default Alpha Anywhere title bar at the top and I don't see how to avoid that part.

Thanks for all the data,
    Paul

Real Name
    Dave Mason

By doing the .exe as coded substituting the variable, it will no longer say Alpha Anywhere at the top of the window?
    The splash screen will not say Alpha Anywhere?
    I can't recall but I think the wise installer for runtime says Alpha Anywhere on it and top panel, etc.
    I didn't try renaming the runtime exe, so maybe that hides it?
    The creation of the exe replaces the title at top of app and on the win10(or) in the bar at bottom. -TItle can be set as needed. .exe. contains the icon just like alpha5.exe contains alpha.ico. Splash can be set buy defining an image as -splash=image name.type or -NOSPLASH for none

Alpha did sell a rebranding download at one point. You might talk to sales and see if it is still available.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Paul Hunter

Thanks for the update!

Paul

Real Name
    Dave Mason

You are welcome, Paul.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Paul Hunter

I looked back and I did buy the rebranding option version 9 which I believe would work with all upgrades in runtime. I have every version from 5 and up apparently with runtime and the one thing that is missing is rebrading download in my version 9 folder. Its like it disappeared. I went to see if I could download, but anything less than version 11 is no longer available from alpha software account.
    I guess that is why I was told by sales that nobody would ever know what the application was built with. I sent an email to sales and they have no knowledge of any rebranding runtime ever being offered, so I just sent my invoice of its purchase.

Real Name
    Allen Klimeck

Quote Originally Posted by datacaster View Post
    I looked back and I did buy the rebranding option version 9 which I believe would work with all upgrades in runtime. I have every version from 5 and up apparently with runtime and the one thing that is missing is rebrading download in my version 9 folder. Its like it disappeared. I went to see if I could download, but anything less than version 11 is no longer available from alpha software account.
    I guess that is why I was told by sales that nobody would ever know what the application was built with. I sent an email to sales and they have no knowledge of any rebranding runtime ever being offered, so I just sent my invoice of its purchase.
    The name of the branding tool file was "a5brandingUtilitySetup.exe" however I could never get it to work with V10 or V11.

Real Name
    Paul Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Klimeck View Post
    The name of the branding tool file was "a5brandingUtilitySetup.exe" however I could never get it to work with V10 or V11.
    It figures and their approach is different now. Do you still have a copy or did it vanish too? I just can't figure where all my copies went. now that I have a name to search I will search all my raid storage boxes.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I never ordered it
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Dave Mason

On the installation side, I use astrum installer for all installs. On customer installs where I am not there(1000's of them) I have the runtime installed and just send the complete install and then run the registration process on the runtime like alpha does with wise installer. Path is usually like c:\runtime folder name\alpha5.exe. The desktop link is install to start alpha from the app folder using the named.exe I had created.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46