Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Breadcrumbs

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Default Breadcrumbs

Has anyone been down the path ( :D ) of creating Breadcrumbs within the WAS. (For those who don't know, it's the links to pages previously displayed. See Wiki Breadcrumbs).

What method worked best for you and was easiest to maintain?
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Breadcrumbs

Breadcrumbs are a maipulation of the URL string and show the folder structure. I'm not sure they would work in Alpha right now given you cannot have two or more "index.a5w" pages in sucesesive folders (if you have Security Framework turned on). You'd need a default page like index.a5w to open for each link, in each folder. Or you would have to do some fancy coding to define what page to open at each level.

Breadcrumbs take a URL like www.alphatogo.com/level1/level2/mypage.a5w and change it to Home >> Level1 >> Level2, with each being a hyper link to a default page in that folder.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Hi Steve,

The breadcrumbs are not really a folder level, but are the links back to previous pages that allow you to navigate back to previous pages you were on (as if you were doing a back key in a sense on a browser)

So you might have

login > main page > search results > item 3

Even if the pages needed to be regenerated, it would be able to go back easily when an unproductive path had been taken
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I know them as an expression of folder hierarchy and I just checked random web pages and they all say the same. Breadcrumbs of 'pages you have visited' would grow to an undetermined length as your user browsed around; unless you scripted their choices.

You could name each A5W page like pgname="Search Page" and then assign it to a session variable that carried through to each successive page.

session.bcrumb = session.bcrumb + ">>" + pgname
    ?session.bcrumb

You can use Request.Referer to capture the previous page URL; but again you'd have to figure out how to assign a short value to it like "Search Page" otherwise it will be the full URL. I don't know, something like this on each page would show the full URL(s).
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Ira,

I was browsing the forum when I realised the breadcrumbs here have nothing to do with the directory structure. Searching the web again, I see there are two distinct types of breadcrumbs: 1) Position breadcrumbs which do mirror your directory structure, and 2) History breadcrumbs which show where you have been. Here is a page that covers both types: http://www.whitford.id.au/webmonkey/...crumbs/php.php. Unfortunately I cannot follow the javascript or PHP to determine how they work.

By looking at the source on our own forum, I can see that the breadcrumbs are done with PHP code, not javascript or some HTML trick.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Dorothy Wasserman

Am looking at the possibility of creating breadcrumbs in Alpha - ver 9 - the kind which will display where the person has been to get to the current page. Has anyone done this successfully and if so could you post how you approached the solution.

TIA,

Dorothy

Real Name
    Ron Simonsen

I realise this is an 'old' thread. Using v 11.0, I'm wanting to create a simple breadcrumb trail just below the (horizontal) nav bar on each page, and above the body content. Has there been any update on this subject since this thread started? Anyone with any idea how/where to do this?

Real Name
    Steve Wood

What is the nature of the pages in crumbs? Are they just the a5w page name or pages with parameters in the url or pages where the user seleceted some record in a grid and you need the crumb to take them back to that exact record?

Additional question: if they go from Home to Products and then click on About Me, do you want the breadcrumb to be Home > Products > About (their literal path), or Home > About, the more logical path.

Describe how they would work.
    Last edited by Steve Wood; 01-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Ron Simonsen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wood View Post
    What is the nature of the pages in crumbs? Are they just the a5w page name or pages with parameters in the url or pages where the user seleceted some record in a grid and you need the crumb to take them back to that exact record?

Additional question: if they go from Home to Products and then click on About Me, do you want the breadcrumb to be Home > Products > About (their literal path), or Home > About, the more logical path.

Describe how they would work.
    By "breadcrumbs" I mean a navigation aid used on all pages in my website. It allows users to keep track of their locations within the website. They would appear horizontally across the top of each web page, below title bars or headers. They provide direct links back to each previous page the user navigated through to get to the current page.

eg Home page > Section page > Subsection page or (using page title) Home > Catalogs > Wheelchairs .. I assume this what you refer to as the 'logical path', that's what I need.

I hope that's what you are wanting? I can't find anything to do with this subject in Alpha. BTW, I am using your Framework 3 if that is relevant to the discussion.

Thanks for your help.
    Ron S

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I am using your Framework 3 if that is relevant to the discussion.
    Yes relevant in that I can add a function to the Framework that you can just stick where you want the breadcrumb to appear.

Breadcrumbs make sense for something like Home > Catalogs > Wheelchairs; that is a proper hierarchy within a product list. But breadcrumbs look a little silly when they are Home > Products > About > Terms and Conditions > About > Home > Contact Us -- which could easily be the path they take through your system. I think what you want is breadcrumbs that are ONLY applicable to a specific groups page pages, the ones involved in the product list for instance. You don't care about their visit to About or Contact Us as far as the breadcrumbs are concerned.

Plus consider, is "Wheelchair" a real a5w page that is named WHEELCHAIR.A5W or is it really page named PRODUCTS.A5W that has a parameter such as "products.a5w?category=wheelchair". Or, if you are using an Ajax Grid to display records for Wheelchairs, is the page named products.a5w which contains a grid named products and the user happens to be on page 4, record 10 which happen to be Wheelchairs.

Ajax grids make it difficult to "go back" because there (normally) is nothing special in the URL to take them back to page 4, record 10. I know how to do this (provide a parameter in the URL to "go back" to any specific record, but it takes some Arguments and client-side event code.

So in your example, would you have a page named WHEELCHAIRS.A5W or something more complex like I described.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Ron Simonsen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wood View Post
    Breadcrumbs make sense for something like Home > Catalogs > Wheelchairs; that is a proper hierarchy within a product list. I think what you want is breadcrumbs that are ONLY applicable to a specific groups page pages, the ones involved in the product list for instance. You don't care about their visit to About or Contact Us as far as the breadcrumbs are concerned.

So in your example, would you have a page named WHEELCHAIRS.A5W or something more complex like I described.
    That's exactly what I'm wanting. Each page in each section will be named. The hierarchical tree is only 3 deep.

Would certainly welcome the function to do this.

Thanks
    Ron S