Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Subreport multiple child issue

Real Name
    Erik Flom

Default Subreport multiple child issue

Hello,
    I am working on a report that consists of 1 parent and 2 child tables, linking on a single common column. The 2 child tables have essentially the same types of data, but having 2 different tables made using a tabbed grid linker very easy (without having to save some kind of "type" identifier in the different grids).. My database is SQL Server and the report SQL connection is ad hoc..

Anyway, I am getting multiple copies of the same records within the 2 sub reports I have included in the main report.. So, if for a single record in the parent table there are 2 rows in child 1 and 3 rows in child 2, then the subreports display 6 rows of data in each subreport area (2x3)

What I was hoping Alpha did was similar to what I can do with Crystal: Define the main report based on the parent table, define the 2 subreports based only on those child tables, and then they are linked via parameter fields in the main report definition.

So my options are mess with the SQL connection and try to apply filters at that level, maybe, or work with the filters in the subreports themselves. I am not sure how to modify the SCANNING("SQLDATASOURCE") filter that is applied to the subreports by default. Is there a test for uniqueness I could use? Suppress duplicates or something like that? Each child table has a row_id column that is a unique identifier, but there could be 2 row_ids that match between the child tables...

Sorry if the above is confusing..

TIA

Erik

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

Default Re: Subreport multiple child issue

I know this is an old post. but I need the same thing--did you ever figure this out?

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by christappan View Post
    I know this is an old post. but I need the same thing--did you ever figure this out?
    Easiest to explain with an example..
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

I've got a report that pulls from 4 SQL tables, three of which are Left Outer Joins, so the records returned for each table have redundant values (I hope that makes sense). A smaller hypothetical example:

SELECT *
    FROM Monthly_Documentation
    LEFT OUTER JOIN Contacts
    ON Monthly_Documentation.Cust_ID = Contacts.Cust_ID AND month(Monthly_Documentation.Date) = month(Contacts.Contact_Date) AND year(Monthly_Documentation.Date) = year(Contacts.Contact_Date)
    LEFT OUTER JOIN Tasks
    ON Monthly_Documentation.Cust_ID = Tasks.Cust_ID AND month(Monthly_Documentation.Date) = month(Tasks.Date_Assigned) AND year(Monthly_Documentation.Date) = year(Tasks.Date_Assigned)
    WHERE Monthly_Documentation.MD_ID = :MD_ID

| Monthly_Documentation | Contacts.Contact_Date | Contacts.Contact_Type | Tasks.Date_Assigned | Tasks.Status |
    | 6/1/2012 | 6/5/12 | Phone | 6/7/12 | Open |
    | 6/1/2012 | 6/15/12 | Email | 6/7/12 | Open |
    | 6/1/2012 | 6/5/12 | Phone | 6/18/12 | Pending |
    | 6/1/2012 | 6/15/12 | Email | 6/18/12 | Pending |

What I'd like is to have in the report design is a subreport showing unique records from the Contacts table and a subreport showing unique records from the Tasks table, but each subreport has a duplicate record.

How?

Real Name
    J.R. Noe

Was this ever resolved? I have the same issue.