Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Can I access my web form from anywhere

Real Name
    Luc Pilon

Default Can I access my web form from anywhere

I am new to alpha five v7. I have Web App Running on my pc at home, can I access my web form from the office pc, if yes what web adress do I need to use in my browser

thanks for any input

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Can I access my web form from anywhere

If you create the right environment, you can access your web app from anywhere. There are a couple steps, and a couple things to be aware of regarding security.

First, you need to be aware that if you don't put in adequate security, you will potentially open up your home computer to hacking attempts of all kinds from all over the world. Actually, even if you do put in the right security, you will still have hacking attempts by the thousands, but they have less chance to affect your system.

- You need a copy of the Alpha Web App Server which is a different item than Alpha Professional.
    - You must install a firewall or use the Windows Firewall.
    - You need to understand how the firewall works, and how to lock down your computer ports.
    - You need to at least be aware that your ISP probably doesn't support you having a web server, and your home computer is not designed to be a web server, but it probably won't matter at your scale.
    - You need a router, but probably already have one.
    - You either need a "static" IP address from your ISP, or use a service like www.no-ip.com.

That's a starter task list.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Scott Segrin

Luc:

I don't know if you've solved your issue yet, but there is an outstanding step-by-step tutorial online for how to set up your home PC as a web server and host A5 apps:

http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation/afas_setup/

I am very new to A5. I ran through the process last night and was up and running in a couple of hours. My router settings gave me a few issues, but the rest was smooth as silk. I'd suggest you try it.

Real Name
    Luc Pilon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Segrin View Post
    Luc:

I don't know if you've solved your issue yet, but there is an outstanding step-by-step tutorial online for how to set up your home PC as a web server and host A5 apps:

http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation/afas_setup/

I am very new to A5. I ran through the process last night and was up and running in a couple of hours. My router settings gave me a few issues, but the rest was smooth as silk. I'd suggest you try it.
    Thank you very much for your suggestion, it is very appreciated, I still get an issue about my licence. still waiting from Alpha for a answer. did you have to buy a licence to make Web server work?

Real Name
    Scott Segrin

Luc:

I bought the web bundle which included A5v9 and the Application Server. They are two separate products. One stumbling block I had was that I didn't realize you had to activate your Web Server license.

Under Tools|Application Server|Sessions(tab) you must enter your App Server license number (16-digit number) AND hit "Activate". I wasn't doing the last part and I kept getting some message about my App Server demo expiring.