Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: multi-select checkbox or dropdown in search part

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

Default multi-select checkbox or dropdown in search part

I'm trying to filter records by team, and for the sake of simplicity, let's say they're team numbers 1, 2, and 3.

Is there any way to have a checkbox or dropdown field in the search part that will allow me to search for records containing more than one of these teams at a time? Using the checkbox option or the dropdown, even as a multi-select, seems to return records only related to the last one picked--e.g. if I select 1 and 3, it only returns records with 3.

Surely there's a way--I'm hoping so, because I'd like to spread this functionality throughout my application. I'm working against MS SQL tables, by the way, and the checkbox/dropdown options are dynamically populated from a SQL table if any of that matters to my question.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

"Certified" Alphaholic chadbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad Brown

Default Re: multi-select checkbox or dropdown in search part

1,3 is what should work in a search but I think there is a bug with sql searches. Other searches like 1..4 are supposed to work as well but again not with sql currently. Sorry I have never used multi-selects on web side.
    Chad Brown

Real Name
    David Mildenhall

How many teams are there and how many do you need to select at any one time?

David

Real Name
    Josh Cole

Steve Workings helped me troubleshoot a similar problem. I will post the code/solution when I get home this evening. We had to create an override to accomplish this.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

Josh (or Steve or others),

Could you help me out with this?

The multi-select checkbox works for static list options, just not for the SQL-based dynamically-populated ones.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Morgan Cohen

I am also suffering from this bug. For me, checkboxes in the search part of a grid do not support multiple selection even with a static list of values.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by christappan View Post
    I'm trying to filter records by team, and for the sake of simplicity, let's say they're team numbers 1, 2, and 3.

Is there any way to have a checkbox or dropdown field in the search part that will allow me to search for records containing more than one of these teams at a time? Using the checkbox option or the dropdown, even as a multi-select, seems to return records only related to the last one picked--e.g. if I select 1 and 3, it only returns records with 3.

Surely there's a way--I'm hoping so, because I'd like to spread this functionality throughout my application. I'm working against MS SQL tables, by the way, and the checkbox/dropdown options are dynamically populated from a SQL table if any of that matters to my question.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    I don't really know what you are doing, but I very much doubt that there is a bug in the Search part relating to checkbox controls.

There might be a mismatch of expectation on how the checkbox control works in a search part. It combines multiple selections with an OR operation. Some people might prefer to use the AND operation.

Therefore I have added this as an option in the next update.

http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V1...luesFields.swf

This file contains a pre-release of the updates to the aex file that will be in the next update. Exit from Alpha Five and unzip this file into your A5V10 program folder. You must also unzip it into the A5V10 Server folder if you are running the stand-alone App Server. http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...te/aex_v10.zip

This file contains an update to the exe and dll files. Exit Alpha Five and unzip into your program folder. You must also unzip it into the A5V10 Server folder if you are running the stand-alone App Server. http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...dllexe_v10.zip

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

Selwyn, I appreciate your help on this, though my expectations aren't mistaken about how it works; I have two checkbox search criteria on one of my grids, and the second one works as expected while the first doesn't.

I went back to this with full intentions of proving you wrong (at least in my mind) but found that the builder is working in cases that I didn't expect it to. However, it still doesn't work with the search criteria I need. I had previously thought the difference was between a static list and dynamic, but it's not--it's the type of SQL field itself. I'm trying to filter on our Team Leaders' ID numbers, which are a number field in the database. In fact, as I explored, under Checkbox Properties there are five settings on non-numeric fields while there are just two on the numeric fields (see attached). So Alpha's definitely treating these fields differently, perhaps for reasons above my head (entirely possible) or perhaps not. If it's the former, I'd love assistance in figuring it out.

Thanks in advance.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by christappan View Post
    Selwyn, I appreciate your help on this, though my expectations aren't mistaken about how it works; I have two checkbox search criteria on one of my grids, and the second one works as expected while the first doesn't.

I went back to this with full intentions of proving you wrong (at least in my mind) but found that the builder is working in cases that I didn't expect it to. However, it still doesn't work with the search criteria I need. I had previously thought the difference was between a static list and dynamic, but it's not--it's the type of SQL field itself. I'm trying to filter on our Team Leaders' ID numbers, which are a number field in the database. In fact, as I explored, under Checkbox Properties there are five settings on non-numeric fields while there are just two on the numeric fields (see attached). So Alpha's definitely treating these fields differently, perhaps for reasons above my head (entirely possible) or perhaps not. If it's the former, I'd love assistance in figuring it out.

Thanks in advance.

if you truly believe that there is an issue here (i am not convinced), then you need to submit a proper bug report. a picture is not an adequate bug report.

you need to send a sample app that demonstrates the problem, or step by step instructions on how to set up a test case with a database we both have (e.g. alphasports).

thank

Real Name
    Morgan Cohen

Smile Re: multi-select checkbox or dropdown in search part

I solved my issue: "Allow 'Query by Form' syntax" (under Search Options) needed to be checked.

Chris, does this help you?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

After these recent posts, Selwyn and I corresponded and the root issues is that my search criteria was a numeric field. The example I gave was this:

Individual Status Rep_ID
    Chris Current 4
    Selwyn Current 8
    Martin Pending 8

I can use a checkbox to select Current and return Chris and Selwyn or I can select Current and Pending and return all three. But I can't do the exact same thing with Rep_ID because it's a numeric field. Maybe that's just understood by you veterans, but it was news to me.

The good news is I got around it once I understood the issue. Now I'm including a column called "convert( varchar(4) , Rep_ID, 0) AS rep_id_char" in my query and then searching that column based on a similarly-converted query. Maybe someone else will benefit from this...
    Last edited by christappan; 06-15-2010 at 10:48 PM.