Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: No scrollbars in Tabbed UI panes?

"Certified" Alphaholic kingcarol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol King

Default No scrollbars in Tabbed UI panes?

Does anyone know why there are no vertical or horizontal scrollbars in the tabbed ui panes? For example, if I display a grid and then select to show 100 records on the page, there is no scrollbar for looking down the page at all the records.

I'm probably overlooking something simple, but I have looked at all the properties for the objects in the tabbed ui and the properties for the tabbed ui itself and can't find anything about scrollbars. Have searched message board and Alphapedia with no luck.

Would appreciate any ideas.
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: No scrollbars in Tabbed UI panes?

It's there on my test... there by default... I can't see an obvious option to turn it off. In my test, you see a Home tab... when I click on that - there is no grid in that tab - the right scroll bar disappears. All seems ok. Records set to display 100, although I only have 20 in the table.

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

I think it works if you have your grid in an .a5w page and that page is bigger than the pane - it's one of the reasons I don't use the tabbed ui much.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by peteconway View Post
    I think it works if you have your grid in an .a5w page and that page is bigger than the pane - it's one of the reasons I don't use the tabbed ui much.
    I don't know, it seems to work for me. I have grids that load off tabbed ui buttons and the scroll bar appear as needed - and no a5w page.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

Same here--they've always appeared for me, and actually there's other posts about unwanted double-scrollbars, one for the whole page and one for the frame within the tabbed UI...

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by christappan View Post
    ...and actually there's other posts about unwanted double-scrollbars, one for the whole page and one for the frame within the tabbed UI...
    Yeah, that happens to me as well.

"Certified" Alphaholic kingcarol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol King

Problem has been solved. The lack of scrollbars and other issues with pop up windows were being because I had placec a timer form in the User Defined Head Content property of the tabbed ui component. That was because we want a timer on the page and you can't edit the tabbed ui page to put content in the body. ANYWAY, having a form in the head section caused javascript errors that were causing scrollbars, date picker calendars, pop up windows, and everything to misbehave.

We have changed the code so that it is starting the timer by referring to an element id rather than an input box in a timer form.
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

I take it there is no setting to turn a scroll bar on/off? In my search part of the grid, which is set for 10 records, unless I one of the choices for viewing more than 10 records, without a vertical scroll bar, the user is dead in the water at 10 records.

I would think that being able to turn a scroll bar on or off would be a handy feature.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Working a similar issue and CANNOT find the answer or figure it out. I have a grid with a detail view on an a5w page that loads in a tabbedUI, now normally I just load the component, this however is an a5w page with a grid on it. The problem is that when the detail view loads, there are no scroll bars and you cannot move it vertically although you can tab through the form and get there. Also, on an ipad it is draggable.
    I went into chrome and inspected the element to find that the problem is in the BODY tag of the inserted component, if I change the overflow from hidden to scroll I immediately get the result I want.

So back in alpha, it appears I need to edit the html output that is generated by alpha when inserting the grid into the popup window- so thats at the component level
    This can be somewhat worked around by choosing "Page" for the position of the detail view, but it wold be super nice to add scroll bars directly to the popup window that the detail view is in when necessary.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The back story on this is that I want to keep my tabbedUI and load pages with my components on them so I can add tracking code for analytics - rather than how I have it now where I load just the component itself via a tabbedUIbutton where I have no "page" other than the tabbedUI to put content tracking code.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Disconnected apps are easy to understand. An internet-enabled app is like a long cat, you pull the tail on one device in New York and the cat meows in New Orleans. In the case of a disconnected app, there just isn't a cat and the meow is familiar.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Ok, maybe here's a better description of what I want to do if anyone can help me I would sorely appreciate it as I want to get this done today.
    Attached is an image of the "document code" I want to change and I think I can just add some code to the javascript function area but REALLY not sure how to do it.
    I want to change the value of OVERFLOW to scroll.

If I do that in dev tools for chrome it gives me exactly what I want. Many thanks in advance!

overflow.JPG
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Disconnected apps are easy to understand. An internet-enabled app is like a long cat, you pull the tail on one device in New York and the cat meows in New Orleans. In the case of a disconnected app, there just isn't a cat and the meow is familiar.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Oh my goodness, Alpha sure made that EASY!
    I simply added
    document.body.style.overflow = "scroll";
    to the javascript functions area and I got what I wanted! So simple.

So if you have a tabbedUI with a button that loads an a5w page that has a grid with a detail view - and you do NOT have a scroll bar shown when viewing it on a desktop browser preventing you from scrolling - that's all you have to do!