Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Session expiration clarification

Real Name
    Mark Williams

Default Session expiration clarification

I have had requests from a couple of clients requesting our application to not expire so rapidly. They prefer to stay logged in for several hours at a time.

This isn't a security issue with our app as it is read only and for reference only.

What is the default timeout time when security is set to 'Expires when current session expires?

Can I get around this by changing this setting to 'Defined time after initial login and set it to 8 hours? When I do this it displays a warning about session variables which I do not understand.

Thanks

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Session expiration clarification

The session lifetime is set under the sessions tab in the application server. Set it to as many seconds as you like. The default is 900 which is 15 minutes. If you want it to be 8 hours, set it to 8X60X60 = 28,800.

Remember that session activity lifetime is the length of inactivity defined as the time between AJAX callbacks. So if the last callback (query for example) is at 4:00pm, and they don't logout but go home. Then an 8-hr session lifetime will expire at midnight.

Real Name
    Mark Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    The session lifetime is set under the sessions tab in the application server. Set it to as many seconds as you like. The default is 900 which is 15 minutes. If you want it to be 8 hours, set it to 8X60X60 = 28,800.

Remember that session activity lifetime is the length of inactivity defined as the time between AJAX callbacks. So if the last callback (query for example) is at 4:00pm, and they don't logout but go home. Then an 8-hr session lifetime will expire at midnight.
    Thanks Peter - exactly what I was looking for...

Real Name
    Rajen Kalauni

Hi Peter,

I am using Alpha 5 v12 developer version. I can't find session tab.development_server.png .

It has development server rather than app server. I have increased session lifetime to 30 mins. Its working when publishing locally but can't increase session life time when publishing in remote Alpha Application server for IIS.

Do I need different setting for session in remote server ? Plz I am waiting for your reply.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

You have to set it on the server.