Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: How to add a Blob Image from a MYSQL Database to a PDF Report - so simple!!

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default How to add a Blob Image from a MYSQL Database to a PDF Report - so simple!!

Hi All,

It took me a long time to figure this out, there may be an answer on the forum already but I couldn't find it, so I thought I would post my solution.

Basically, the user has uploaded an image and I have stored it in a Blob field in a MYSQL database (not on the alpha file server or anything like that). Now I have created a report and want to show that image on a PDF report....

Here is how I did it.

1) The image needs to be stored in a BLOB field in MYSQL database or something similar on other third party DB's.
    2) Include the blob field in the report SQL definition.
    3) On the report builder screen, go to the Tool box. Find the "Insert Static HTML Object" tool.
    4) Using the tool, draw the box where you want the image to appear. NOTE, the box must be large enough to show the image, so make sure it is large enough to show the images that are being uploaded. To make life easier maybe size the images when loaded.
    5) Once the box is created, there should be a little pencil like icon in the upper right corner of the box. Click it
    6) This will bring up the HTML text editor.
    7) Look for the "Fields" option at the top. Find your Blob field and drag it underneath the <body> tag. Alpha should generate some html that looks like this :{a5_HTML_extended_image_field_format("Image_Field_name","")}
    8) Thats it!

I love doing it this way...my users images are all stored in the mysql database so I only have to worry about backing that up, if the alpha server crashes no big deal.

Hope this helps someone :)

Scott

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Re: How to add a Blob Image from a MYSQL Database to a PDF Report - so simple!!

One additional note, I found in some instances the published server version of the report (as opposed to preview) was shrinking the image to a few pixels, so switching the html code to this fixed the problem:

{a5_HTML_extended_image_field_format("Image_Field_Name","style=\"width: 1in; height: 1in;\" title=\"My image\"")}

The style sets the image dimensions, so you can modify the inches as appropriate. Even more reason to standardize the picture size when loading I guess.

Cheers,

Scott

Real Name
    Oluotes

Default Re: How to add a Blob Image from a MYSQL Database to a PDF Report - so simple!!

Thank you man for sharing your findings with us. Many thanks.

Real Name
    Drew R.

FINALLY !! ....Thank you very much...you ended months of battling a report. Do you happen to know how to put the the image in a 'Conditional Object' and have that object not show if the image field is empty. I'm using a longblob field in a MySQL database to hold the images.

Member brad.lindsay69@gmail.com's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brad Lindsay

thank you, thank you, thank you

Real Name
    Gustavo

Thank you I was struggling with this too. Your post helps me a lot!!

Real Name
    Blair Chan-Kent

Great thanks for the instructions. Definitely helped with displaying the signature capture once it was stored in my db.

Real Name
    Dan K

Dude! Scott you are a star! Thank you very much for this info.

Real Name
    Ivan Lozano

AWESOME!!! This is great stuff bro, Just one question, how do I tell it to fill the entire field on the report? Is there an easy way to set it to "Best Fit"?

Real Name
    Jonathan

Is there a way to insert a blob field (from a signature capture) directly into an email?

Real Name
    Adrian Alexander

Anyone know how to include an image on a report from Amazon S3 please?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

This works on a regular report but when it is converted to layout table report the image is not showing at all.