Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: List Navigation with Cascading Lists

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

Default List Navigation with Cascading Lists

I have a simple UX with a parent list, and 2 child lists each that cascade from the parent.

It all works great except when I added List Navigation Icons to the UX, and set them to navigate the parent list, I get no cascading action.

Here is a video.... http://screencast.com/t/icAkqoqO

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: List Navigation with Cascading Lists

Add the refresh cascading lists method to each of the list record navigation controls. E.g.

Code:
    {dialog.object}._listNavigateRecord('LIST1','next');
    {dialog.object}._listRefreshCascadingLists('LIST1');
    This will refresh any list depending on LIST1

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

I shoulda known.

Thanks David

Real Name
    Kevin R Hunt

Hi Dave,

I have the same question but I'm clearly not as smart as PizzaDude ...

I understand the use of the two lines of code, I just don't know what "list record navigation controls" means.

I have three lists all created using the new List Genie, located in a Panel Layout with three Panel Cards, each card containing a single list

LST_SERVICES is in PanelCard_1 and is the Parent to LST_RATE via srv_guid = rte_fk_services, and it also has the only Search feature, because once the user selects a Service, the items displayed in LST_RATE described below are filtered to the selected Service. Every Service can have one (at least) or more Rates.

LST_RATE is in PanelCard_2 and is the Parent to LST_SP_RATE via rte_guid = spr_fk_rate. There is no Search feature for this list (at the moment). Every Service has to have at least one Rate (when a new Service is created, a new Rate is also created and has a default value of $0.00, as well as a new SP Rate for Service's first Rate). When a Rate is selected, the items displayed in LST_SP_RATE described below are filtered to the selected Rate.

LST_SP RATE is in PanelCard_3 and is the child to LST_SP_RATE. Every Service, through it's first Rate must have a corresponding SP Rate.

All three Lists have the standard set of CRUD buttons, including the Synchronize.

I don't have any First|Next|Previous|Last navigation buttons, so what "navigation controls" should I look for?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kevin

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Hey Kevin,

In the Defined Controls section there are two controls:

List-Navigation Buttons
    List-Navigation Icons

which, when used, first pop up a dialog asking if you want to navigate a Page at a time... or a Record at a time.

Selecting one Record at a time will put the appropriate method into all four of the control's onClick event.

It's in these newly added control's onClick event that you add the refresh cascading list method.

Real Name
    Kevin R Hunt

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I've used the Genie and with the Search part, for real estate reasons, I'm currently not using any navigation controls because once the search is done the information displayed in the list is relatively small and the user would most like just scroll up and down either with a mouse or in a mobile app, with touch.

Sooooooo ... when I click on the Parent list (LST_SERVICES) refreshes its child, LST_CLIENT_RATE but the child of LST_CLIENT_RATE, LST_SP_RATE isn't refreshed unless I click in the LST_CLIENT_RATE list. Not terrible, but not what I'm hoping to accomplish. Any other ideas of where to put that code?

I tried it in the onClick of the LST_SERVICES and onClick of the LST_CLIENT_RATE, but it's not automatic and it was refreshing before I put the code in the onClick methods anyways.

Thanks for any help you can provide ...

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

If you put {dialog.object}._listRefreshCascadingLists(' LST_CLIENT_RATE'); into the onClick event of LST_SERVICES, then LST_SP_RATE doesn't refresh?

If it doesn't try using one of the "data loading" events of LST_CLIENT_RATE... such as onPopulate.

You could try {dialog.object}._listRefreshCascadingLists(' LST_CLIENT_RATE'); in there or go directly after LST_SP_RATE with the refreshListData method.