Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: DDL In Pgadmin Postgresql.

Real Name
    George R. Kenney

Default DDL In Pgadmin Postgresql.

I am using a product called SQL Power Architect which is an ERD (Entity Relation Diagram) Diagramming tool. It is Free (open source) and makes really good designs of a databases. prints perfectly, In fact I find it to be the best I have seen for the money. Anyway, It has what they call forward engineering which creates a DDL (Data Definition Language) of the diagram and fields. The problem I am having is I haven't a clue as to how to integrate that into Postgresql. I have Postgresql server and I have installed the 32 bit drivers on my windows 8.1.
    I created a database on the 32bit version server and now want to pull in the DDL. Is there anyone so kind as to indicate the steps I need to take to do that. I have posted on several postrgesql forums and sql forums without response I suppose it is too dumb a question. I am just starting in SQL and thought forward engineering would be a good way to try it out on a project. I know Postgresql handles what is called transactional DDL. I am reading a lot about postgresql but like alpha, Postgresql has an 8000 page manual. Thanks for any insight into this

Real Name
    George R. Kenney

Default Re: DDL In Pgadmin Postgresql.

ok so I figured it out: First I needed to install a 32bit version of Postgres http://www.enterprisedb.com/products...oad#windowsand and a 32 bit ODBC driver http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/ after that I needed to download a the jdbc dirver and put it where I could find it. I put it in the Postrgres folder.
    After that I needed to configure the connection to the database created in pgAdmin
    this turned out to be done in a dialog in the SQL button of SQL Power Architect. There I had to fill in the connection string in this case it is done for you playpen Database, then select the type of database: PostgreSQL put the host name in : localhost, port is given 5423 and database Name (mydatabase) The user name and the password. User name was postgress the password was created in pgadmin at creation. I then had to get the jdbc driver https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html installed which is done under Connections with the connection manager just a matter of locating the file file which is an exe. I had previously downloaded and stored.
    then the connection worked clicking on the SQL button you get the DDL Script which you can execute from within that dialog and bingo you get your tables and fields built into your postgress database.