Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Saving FormView Control Data to a SQL Database

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Default Saving FormView Control Data to a SQL Database

The FormView operates on a local data source. Local data sources can be a List Control, Static Data, JSON, or a JavaScript Object. The List Control is an ideal local data source since it can pull data from a database. The List control also includes offline support and data synchronization functions.

When used with a List control, the FormView acts as the List control's Detail View. CRUD operations for a List control are usually only available if the List is configured to have Detail View. In this video, we show how you can configure the List control to have a Detail View so you can synchronize data from the List control back to the SQL database after edits are made using a FormView control.

Saving FormView Control Data to a SQL Database

Video Link: http://www.alphasoftware.com/video-library/?v=4930
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

Real Name
    Amit lohogaonkar

Default Re: Saving FormView Control Data to a SQL Database

Hi Sarah,

I see 2 saves and 1 synchronise. In our complex forms for all clients no user will be ready to click 3 times to save data in a form.(2 more clicks)
    Currently our forms can be saved in database on a single click and this will not work for us as client and our managers have high expectations around usability.
    Is there any way to create tablet based complex forms that save the data to SQL(and edit it again after coming back from grid that contains all items) on one click using either formview?(one save button just like asp.net or any other code).
    I know how to save on one click using standard technique in alpha but I want to know how to do it for tablet optimized forms.

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by amitloh View Post
    Hi Sarah,

I see 2 saves and 1 synchronise. In our complex forms for all clients no user will be ready to click 3 times to save data in a form.(2 more clicks)
    Currently our forms can be saved in database on a single click and this will not work for us as client and our managers have high expectations around usability.
    Is there any way to create tablet based complex forms that save the data to SQL(and edit it again after coming back from grid that contains all items) on one click using either formview?(one save button just like asp.net or any other code).
    I know how to save on one click using standard technique in alpha but I want to know how to do it for tablet optimized forms.
    Are you wanting to save all changes back to the list control when the user edits a field in a FormView?
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

Real Name
    Amit lohogaonkar

I have a complex form that should render in Ipad and it should save to database in one click. User does not care about list control. When user clicks on save all he wants is saving data in database. I want to know if formview can meet that need(without having 3 clicks to save data).
    Last edited by amitloh; 03-24-2017 at 02:36 PM.