Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Displaying New Records with the FormView Control

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Default Displaying New Records with the FormView Control

We've discussed viewing and editing data in a FormView control. But what about creating new records? A set of actions for the FormView control are available through Action Javascript -- "Form View Control Actions". One of the options available for these FormView actions is "New Record", which will create a new record using the FormView control.

In addition to being able to create new records, you can also specify default values for the FormView fields. Default values for fields can be defined with the property "Default Value for New Record Javascript", which uses javascript to calculate the default value for the FormView field. This javascript can return a static value or perform a client-side calculation to determine the default value for a new record. Watch the video below to learn more.

Displaying a New Record in the FormView Control

Video Link: http://www.alphasoftware.com/video-library/?v=4932

Prerequisite Knowledge Base

New to the FormView control? Learn all about it with the resources below:

Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

Real Name
    Ken Carroll

Default Re: Displaying New Records with the FormView Control

Hi,

My FormView Actions does not have a built-in option to create a new record. I have v12.3 Build 3230 - 4567.

I see the at the pre-release beta notes page that the currently available one is supposed to be 3356-4599 from 1/15/16 which I was not able to successfully download the patch for.

I have not seen a new "nightly build" since 1/15/16 which, when "downloaded" was not valid...so I have been waiting for a more recent one since 1/15/16.

I want see an option in the FormView Actions to create a new record.

Thanks,

Ken

Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by kctermite View Post
    Hi,

My FormView Actions does not have a built-in option to create a new record. I have v12.3 Build 3230 - 4567.

I see the at the pre-release beta notes page that the currently available one is supposed to be 3356-4599 from 1/15/16 which I was not able to successfully download the patch for.

I have not seen a new "nightly build" since 1/15/16 which, when "downloaded" was not valid...so I have been waiting for a more recent one since 1/15/16.

I want see an option in the FormView Actions to create a new record.

Thanks,

Ken
    Hi Ken,

Build 3364 was published this morning. I checked the FormView actions in this version and it looks like "New Record" is listed as an option. Is it still missing for you when you install the latest beta?
    Sarah Mitchell

Real Name
    Ken Carroll

It is there (not missing) now that I have the latest build. I was thrown off by the temporary message about invalid/corrupt ... whatever, but this time I noticed the statement letting me know it is O.K. The New Record Feature for the Form View is working fine for me now that I have the latest build. Thanks!

Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by kctermite View Post
    It is there (not missing) now that I have the latest build. I was thrown off by the temporary message about invalid/corrupt ... whatever, but this time I noticed the statement letting me know it is O.K. The New Record Feature for the Form View is working fine for me now that I have the latest build. Thanks!
    I'm glad it's working again!

Did .NET install itself when you installed today's build? The .NET requirements have changed. When you run the installer, it actually needs to run twice: once for .NET to install with reboot, again to finish the Alpha install. I'm curious if you did that this time or if maybe the previous install you tried included the .NET update.
    Sarah Mitchell

Real Name
    Ken Carroll

I did not install the build when I saw the warning message previously. For some reason, I didn't see the message that it was O.K. to ignore the message about invalid/corrupt whatever. When I was informed that I could ignore that message, and proceed, I followed other on screen directions and .NET was installed O.K. Previously, I was scared off by the warning, but once I knew I could ignore it, all worked fine.