Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: over ride filter for first record

Real Name
    Ted Soileau

Default over ride filter for first record

I have an application with a table that holds all the clients information. This information is filtered by three different departments which means that I have a filter which pulls the client information depending on which department is selected. The problem is if there happens not to be a client in that department, then it is not possible to enter "new" client information. I know there is a way to bypass this and I have searched but apparently I am not using the correct terminology. Suggestions?
    Thanks,

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: over ride filter for first record

Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, but your description of your issue is lacking, that said - maybe I can help you better describe the problem so you can figure out your solution.
    First of all, is this a SINGLE table application? Better yet, does your UX (assuming it is one) ONLY involve one table? if it is I cannot see an issue so my guess is that there are at least 3 different tables.
    Let us know your table setup and how your attempting to edit it. DO you have a list control? Is this a grid?
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Please ignore and excuse ANY posts I make in the desktop section - as an idiot, I am prone to reply in the wrong section - and I don't know diddly about the AS Desktop development.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Charles,

One of these days you're going to recognize the difference between the Desktop area of the message board and the Mobile & Browser area.
    There can be only one.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

LOL - wow - guess I am the turd in the punch bowl - sorry guys!
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Please ignore and excuse ANY posts I make in the desktop section - as an idiot, I am prone to reply in the wrong section - and I don't know diddly about the AS Desktop development.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

The problem is if there happens not to be a client in that department, then it is not possible to enter "new" client information.
    Not sure what this means. If I were doing this I would check that there were records first with

A5_GET_RECORDS_IN_QUERY()

If there are records, proceed, if not warn the user, close the form, open a data entry form.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Ted Soileau

Stan,

Sorry I wasn't clear. It is a single table but I use filters to separate and show only those records that meet the filter. I will work on creating a warning if there are not any records that meet the filter then redirect to a form to enter the data.

thanks for the direction

Real Name
    Robin

Alternatively, you could add a dummy record for each department and set the default client name as "<New Client>" so the user can click on that record to add the new data.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford