Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Formview: List field names duplicated after 3 or more cascading lists! is this a bug?

Real Name
    Maroine A.

Default Formview: List field names duplicated after 3 or more cascading lists! is this a bug?

I have a parent list with 4 cascading children lists and a formview that is based on the parent list. Assume I have the following list names: PARENT_LIST --> CHILD_LIST1 --> CHILD_LIST2 --> CHILD_LIST3 --> CHILD_LIST4 (--> indicates parent child relationship for example, CHILD_LIST1 is the parent list of CHILD_LIST2 and so on...)

When I switch to the fields list in the formview, the 3rd and 4th lists inherit the fieldnames of the 2nd list! in the above example I see the names of the lists as follows:

CHILD_LIST1 fieldname is CHILD_LIST1[]
    CHILD_LIST2 fieldname is CHILD_LIST1[].CHILD_LIST2[]
    CHILD_LIST3 fieldname is CHILD_LIST1[].CHILD_LIST2[].CHILD_LIST2[] instead of CHILD_LIST1[].CHILD_LIST2[].CHILD_LIST3[]
    CHILD_LIST4 fieldname is CHILD_LIST1[].CHILD_LIST2[].CHILD_LIST2[].CHILD_LIST2[] instead of CHILD_LIST1[].CHILD_LIST2[].CHILD_LIST3[].CHILD_LIST4[]

The same goes for any other cascaded list that comes after CHILD_LIST4.
    This actually gets complicated and waste of time when trying to switch to the form layout tab and have to manually correct the list field names in the freeform editor, and when I try to do some modification using the Genie, then switch back to the freeform layout all fieldname modifications are lost.

This behavior also happens in a viewbox when based on a parent list that has 3 or more cascading lists.

Is this a bug? has anyone experienced this behavior before?

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.
    Last edited by Maroine81; 04-12-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: more info

Real Name
    Maroine A.

Default Re: Formview: List field names duplicated after 3 or more cascading lists! is this a bug?

I have attached a test component along with a text file that has sql code to create the database that goes along with the component.

Duplicate_listNames.a5wcmp

duplicate_listnames.txt

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Formview: List field names duplicated after 3 or more cascading lists! is this a bug?

I'm seeing the same using your tables and component. I have to say... I not comfortable with your table names or List names. I changed everything to use table names of first_child, second_child etc. And List variable names of FIRST_CHILD, SECOND_CHILD. The use of numbers in table names and _numbers on List names just doesn't look good... or work that well without special attention.

However, even with my changes to more accepted naming... the issue still presents.

Switching to the Freeform editor and making corrections does allow the process to work... but I'm curious. You end up with a long list of names from the 5 Lists. What is your intention for doing this?

Real Name
    Maroine A.

Thank you David for taking the time to look into this.

You're right, those naming conventions are inadvisable although that didn't cause a conflict in this case.

In the setup I'm using I only have one parent list and 3 cascading lists, I added the 4th in this component to emphasize that the bug occurs for all the cascaded lists that come after the 2nd list. Those lists are just an example to mimic the bug. As for my intention for doing this, it does require a long description to explain since there are many important details to emphasize. I will send you a PM about what I'm trying to accomplish if you don't mind of course.

I have submitted a bug report yesterday and received a quick response just few hours after from Mr. Rabins who stated that the fix will be available in the next pre-release build.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Understood... yes please... send a PM.