Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Paypal alternatives?

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Paypal alternatives?

This is for me, but may help others including some hosting clients.
    I currently have well over 45 apps/sites running with Paypal set up. I have no problems with PayPal, but I know there are others out there that cost a bit less per transaction and are just as trustworthy.
    I hope someone here could recommend one they have used or are using that I may contact the provider and hopefully reduce my and some clients expense as well as have an alternative for visitors during a sale.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Paypal alternatives?

I am converting my subscription and Store on iadn.com and alphatogo.com from PayPal over to Stripe. I have not had many problems with PayPal, some don't like it because it asks them to 'sign up'. Stripe works differently than PayPal. It provides instant validation whereas PayPal's integration is asynchronous. Stripe has a better dashboard. Stripe has a feeling of less weight, fewer moves for the client between shopping cart and Success/Fail. The other problem with PayPal subscription is that users often cancel their PayPal account without considering active subscriptions. My integration tells me that they cancelled, but then I have to follow up manually to get something else in place.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I prefer stripe as well but for a multi-tenant AS does not make it easy to swap keys out you will have to write some code - converting the code to xbasic causes a fail BUT - the single user with his keys in the project properties is really easy to setup, especially for a single purchase. I think AS could have created a much fuller sample to include subscriptions, processing the API returned transaction info etc but for what it's worth they did a very complete - single purchase, click and your done example.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Please ignore and excuse ANY posts I make in the desktop section - as an idiot, I am prone to reply in the wrong section - and I don't know diddly about the AS Desktop development.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Thanks Steve and Charles.
    The client having more steps to sign up is why I am looking.
    Seems stripe is bout the same cost.
    I am going to use it on my hosting setup and it is just a plug in there. Same with using it on Joomla ecommerce as well as Joomla memberships.
    Think I will have it all set up by Wednesday.
    With ecommerce in joomla and whmcs all is just waiting for the account info including renewals.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Eliza Bennett

There are plenty of online payment systems out there that you can use to conduct e-commerce activities. You can choose among AuthorizedotNet. Skrill, Dwolla and Braintree but I can bet Pay Pal is the best.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

PayPal is the main one for me and most of my hosting clients use only PayPal since it takes cards as well. They will connect to your checking(If you allow) so you never get turned down on a payment. Sometimes it is necessary to have an alternative, especially for purchases from some countries. I use Joomla-> Hikashop for sales of file downloads and it holds up delivery until money is confirmed. Has almost any payment method available with a couple clicks. No real work for me. My clients like that.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Just be aware of the fact that once you get over a certain dollar amount per month (no worries for me on that) PayPal is supposedly cheaper. Also, another alternative using Stripe OR Paypal btw. is "EmailMeForms"
    This is a place to create and manage forms - which can then be dropped in just about anywhere. I use it with much success. I build websites for people and use this form builder. It is pretty cheap and very reliable, plus there is a good audit trail on the forms usage.
    I am a low code, drag and drop developer as often as I can because I am all things in this company. I am the CSS, visual guy - the database guy - the troubleshooter - the visionary - the accountant - the receptionist, and I actually use the app I built because frankly that's what pays the bills around here!
    Ok, so that was TMI but the idea is - a PayPal alternative can be many things and what saves us time might just save us money!
    Hope that helps!
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com OR my Developer Chat
    Please ignore and excuse ANY posts I make in the desktop section - as an idiot, I am prone to reply in the wrong section - and I don't know diddly about the AS Desktop development.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I already have a great form builder, but acymailer plugs right in for sending to final purchasers and other. Very little work for me to have to do.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46