Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Embedded Browse - go to Latest Record

Real Name
    David Abbott

Default Embedded Browse - go to Latest Record

Members,

I am an amateur user, and can normally work out a way (mostly trial and error!) on how to solve a problem. I've spend a good deal of time on this, so I thought best to ask if there is a solution that I just can't seem to find.

I have a set and within this is a one-to-many embedded browse which holds transactions for the particular person. Some records now have many dozens of transactions, and when moving to any particular record, the embedded browse always shows the earliest transaction. It then means scrolling down, as it is the latest ones that I normally want to look at. I've added a couple or screen shots to show what I mean.

Any suggestions please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Embedded Browse - go to Latest Record

See the AlphaSports invoice form. There's a button on the form (Bottom) with the code

browse1.fetch_last()
    browse1.activate()
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    David Abbott

Thanks, Stan.

I've added the buttons I need and it works fine - apart from me needing to change the AlphaSports coding to, for example, from browse1.fetch_last() to Control_browse1.fetch_last().

I was thinking the wrong question, in that I was looking for the active record in the embedded browse to be the latest by default, and effecting this was my difficulty taking account of my limited knowledge/expertise in coding (though A5 has enabled me to do more than I expected over the years). Using a single mouse click is not a hardship at all compared with having to scroll though numerous lines in the browse.
    Last edited by Esio Trot; 12-17-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Typo

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

David

Now you can use that code in another event that will cause the repositioning of the record pointer without a click of a button.

You could try the onfetch event of the form - it works (thanks for the reminder Stan..) ;) ...
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-17-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Lonnie D Kelley

You can go into the Filter/Order tab of the Form Properties, select the table which the embedded browse is based on, and select the order that you want to display the records in the browse - maybe INVERT(Trx_date)?

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by LDK View Post
    You can go into the Filter/Order tab of the Form Properties, select the table which the embedded browse is based on, and select the order that you want to display the records in the browse - maybe INVERT(Trx_date)?
    Good idea, but that serves a different purpose.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

Or set the order on the child table to the required column and tick/untick descending as needed.

Real Name
    Robin

The display order of the child records seems to be on the Transaction Description column. Which is probably why 'Article 23 Liability' appears first in the list and the date fields are not sorted. Assuming the records are being entered in the Date field order, then record order would give you a proper display. However, if they are being entered randomly, then you might want to set the order for the child records in the form's properties to something like 'cdate(date)+transaction_description'. Which of course is up to you, but the current display seems odd to me. Then fetching the last record in the browse will give you the most recent payment entry by date - which btw, would put 'Article 23 Liability' last in the list.
    Last edited by MoGrace; 12-21-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford