Get a Jumpstart with our Sample Apps

Thread: Left Hand, Right Hand

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

Default Left Hand, Right Hand

Ok what do I have to do to get the left hand (in this case a line item type table) to know what ID # is in the right hand (the customer table)...
    the customer is master, the line item is 1 to many.

Both show up on the default form and I can enter data into the line item file, which shows up if you browse THAT table. I need to be able to put the customer ID into the line item table and can't seem to make it work...

I'm sure (AGAIN) that I'm missing something. I really don't want to have to enter a 10 digit field for every line item.......

Why is it that the line item file doesn't know the ID number that is the primary link for the set????

Tried Calc field, lookup, ??????

See ya in the am (later am that is)

Dick Coleman

Bo Vandenberg

Default RE: Left Hand, Right Hand

Its really early in the morning for me to follow that. Do you have a picture or something...

Bo

Bo Vandenberg

Could you get further ahead with a sorted index including your various elements?

Bo

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Dick,

Assumptions:

1) Customer table has a Customer_id field that uniquely identifies each separate customer.
    2) Customer table has an index defined for the customer_id field, unfiltered.
    3) Transactions table's structure includes a Customer_id field, too. This field matches type and width of the corresponding field in the Customers table.
    4) Transactions table has an index defined for the customer_id field, unfiltered.
    5) Set is defined with Customer primary and Transactions linked (1:Many) using the customer_id field as link field.

Using any form based on this set Alpha Five will suppress the display of the link field (Customer_id) in the child table. This handily prevents the end user from being able to change the link field value (customer_id) in the child table and thereby destroy the linkage between the child table and the primary table. Instead, when new records are entered (through the set based form) Alpha Five will supply the link field value to the new child table record automatically. You don't have to worry about it.

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

That's what I thought too, but if you leave the customer record and come back to it; the line items are not there...
    They're in the line item table with their own record id but the linking field (in the line item table) which is 'for all practical purposes' named 'line_item_cus_id' - is blank.....

Nothing I have been able to do (to date) has resulted in the transfer of the customer id field data...

As a note, I have always had a practice of creating a calculated field that is a mirror of the indexing field. I put the calculated field on forms (since it cannot be changed) and have no worries about accidental changes.

I'm going to look at using buttons to load data variables and then transfer the data to fields in the line item table.

More later, gotta go look at some past issues of newsletter. Saw an interesting topic while 'scrounging' around earlier this am.

D

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Richard,

Sounds to me as though the set is ill defined. Post the database here and we can check it for you.

Possibly, there's conflict with field rules you've employed for the child table's link field. Suggest deleting them for the time being.

-- tom