Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Table/Set exclusive mode error

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

Default Table/Set exclusive mode error

I have a set for which I need to make changes to field rules. When I open the set in design mode to edit the field rules I get a message to the effect:
    "The Table/Set is being used by another session and cannot be opened in exclsuive mode. Field rules can be viewed but no changes can be saved."
    If the set is opened in design mode to edit the set structure no such exclusive access message is generated and I can edit the structure with no problems.

Well the set/tables are in fact not in use by another session. Just to make sure I unload and reload Alpha, but the message still appears. Then I do a complete reboot of the computer just to ensure nothing is still being held in memory or being run as a process that might cause this. No success. So then I duplicate the set to a new set and the message still appears for the new (duplicate) set. Huh? Is Alpha writing access mode flags into the actual set definititon? I would certainly hope not. How can I clear this problem, or am I screwed and will need to completely recreate the set from scratch?

As a general observation, I have encountered numerous instances with V8 seeming to get randomly confused and issuing similar exclusive access messages. In all cases, except the the present one, closing either the application and/or Alpha itself and restarting has cleared the problem. But, getting random exclusive access locks isn't good and shouldn't be happening. It's as if Alpha isn't consistently releasing locks on sets or tables when it should. Anyone else experience this behavior?

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Table/Set exclusive mode error

Since there aren't really any "set" field rules, try opening the table for which you want to change the field rules and see what happens. The set field rule editor merely lets you change the table field rules for the tables in the set.

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

Stan, thanks for the suggestion to try and edit the field rules for the individual table outside the set. This worked. I was operating under the wrong presumption (still a newbie to Aplha) that editing field rules in the set design produced a unique set of rules applicable to that set and which superceded any rules defined in the table design mode. Obviously not the case, Duh. Although that capability would be highly desirable.

After some additional poking around I have determined that Alpha appears to issue the exclusive mode error message for an entire entire set when there is occurrence of muliple linkages to the same table. In the case of my problematic set I have two links established to the same table in order to produce two different needed browse views. In this situation Alpha will not let field rules be edited for any of the linked tables contained in the set. If I remove the second link then field rules can be then edited within the set.

This behavior stikes me as inconsistent in so far as Alpha clearly permits multiple links to be established to the same table within the same set. Logically it be more consistent to only lock/restrict the aliased linkages in the set from being able to have field rules edited and as opposed to blocking all. Editing the individual table filed rules outside the defined set in the table design mode provides a work around but seems inefficient and confusing.

Real Name
    Bob Kenworthy

i am havingy the same problem. cannot edit field rules in set (get excluse mode error) i understand going to specific table edit rules but the problem is i need a calculated field with linking tables linked to itself. the name of the table is custmast linked to custmast@1 linked to csutmast@2 etc. the linked databases are only offered in the set field rules. ie trim(custmast->lastname)+ " "+trim(custmast@1->lastname)+" "+trim(custmast@2->lsatname)
    thanks for any suggestions
    Bob

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

only offered in the set field rules
    Since there is no such thing as set field rules then you have to approach the problem some other way. Can you tell us why, if the tables mentioned are multiple links of the same table, how lastname could be different in separate aliases?
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Bob Kenworthy

the tables are linked with a customer number field. there is a cust referral field also. the field is entered from a lookup on the same table.
    i made a calculated field with the expresion i mentioned. custmast->name +" "+ custmast1->name+" "+custmast2->name and it produced... Jones, Smith, Sorota on the form. ie Jones was refered by Smith who was referred by Sorota and so on. Also am able include any field on those table and would show more info
    earlier version i was able to do this at the set level field rules
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Bob, as mentioned in the other thread you posted, I think the solution here is to create a custom UDF that will "walk" through the linked list of referrals to return all the names you need.

Its misleading to say the tables are linked with a customer number field in your set. Each "child" instance of the customer table is linked to its parent using the parent's cust referral field.