Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Validating fields in a free form layout

Real Name
    Richard Urban

Default Validating fields in a free form layout

I have a grid with a free form layout. http://www.urbangrocery.com:81/Checkout.a5w Is there an easy way to use validation to check that one or more fields are filled in?

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Default Re: Validating fields in a free form layout

I see that no one has responded to your post, and I'm no expert, but I use a lot of free form layouts, so I'll tell you what I know.

I have several fields that I have validations on as "required." If a user fills out the web form and clicks the submit button, they get an error message telling them which fields they did not fill in, along with a message that says to use the browser's back button to correct the problem fields. (See screen shot. I don't know why the red text came out so lousy in the picture.)

At the moment it's the only option I have, but I don't particularly care for it, because most times when the user uses the "back" button, all of their original data has been deleted, and they have to start all over again. That angers many users.

If I was versed in writing Ajax code, I could have it set so that when the user hit submit button, a red box would appear around the problem fields, with a messasge saying the field was required, and the user could simply fill in the missing data, hit submit again, and everything would be fine. But since I use the component builders instead of writing my own code, I have to do it this way for now.

I'm hoping that v10 will be out soon, as that will apparently have Ajax capabilites built in to the component and dialog builders, and issues like this will be easily remedied.

Don't know if that answers your question, but hopefully sheds a little light on it at least.

BTW, nice website. Also nice to see another A5 developer near me. I'm in Bowe, Maryland, so you're not far away.
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

Real Name
    Richard Urban

Default Re: Validating fields in a free form layout

Hi Rich,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, it would be good if we could automatically use AJAX to pop up a message. I hope that is in V10, too.
    Richard